Forum sponsored by Dremel

Guardsman by Vic Smeed

Wooden hull version of plan MM1330

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Hadley21/11/2012 23:43:31
902 forum posts
542 photos

Decided to build a wooden hulled version of Vic Smeed's attractive Customs and Excise Launch, Guardsman (MM1330). At 22.5" x 6" the model seems an ideal size for my next project.

The first stage is to trace and cut the ply centre keel from 1/8" ply, the hull bottom planks from 1/2" balsa and the bulkheads from 1/8" balsa.

guardsman (1).jpg

Tony Hadley21/11/2012 23:58:15
902 forum posts
542 photos

Bottom planks now glued in place. Sanded level with the keel to give a good straight base for the bulkheads. Glue used was white Evo Stik Resin W. In a recent thread (What Glue) on this site, an Aliphatic glue was recommended and I intend to try this next.

guardsman (2).jpg

Bob Abell22/11/2012 06:25:03
8956 forum posts
2824 photos

Hello Tony

Looking forward to your build

I like the quaint boats of yesteryear, they are full of olde worlde charm

Bob

LARRY WHETTON23/11/2012 16:26:30
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hello Tony, nice to see you are building the guardsman , nice little boat, i have two sryrenehulls to start on a build for the grandson so will watching tour build with interest,...........Larry...

Tony Hadley24/11/2012 21:38:07
902 forum posts
542 photos

Thank you for the positive feedback. Bob, must say your Glasgow build is excellent.

Managed to glue the first row of bread and butter laminations at the bow and stern. Also fitted bulkheads 1 & 5. I will deviate from Vic's instructions here as he says to fit the rest of the bulkheads, whereas I think it would be best to complete the laminations first. The bulkheads would be a bit fragile glued in place until I am ready for the planking.

guardsman (3).jpg

I will be taking a short break from this model for a short while whilst I go shopping for more balsa and a prop shaft which needs fitting before the stern laminations.

In his text Vic says the Guardsman is a Composite Hull. Can anyone clarify this. My understanding of a composite hull is shown in the sketch and would be used for Oil Tankers etc.guardsman hull (2).jpg

guardsman hull (1).jpg

Thanks.

Bob Abell24/11/2012 22:00:06
8956 forum posts
2824 photos

I think you are about right there, Tony

It' s probably an old term, nowadays composite would refer to FG and some thing else?

Bob

ps....Btw I hate balsa wood for boats!.......lol

bob

Colin Bishop24/11/2012 23:28:01
4757 forum posts
6078 photos
404 articles

Yes, a composite hull combines different building methods and frequently entails bread and butter or block construction for the bow and stern with planking amidships. It is a very practical, economical and effective way of building a hull and is the method I usually use myself.

Unlike Bob, I am quite happy to use balsa as long as it is properly reinforced, sealed and protected but we all have our personal preferences.

Colin

LARRY WHETTON25/11/2012 10:37:51
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hello ,

thepost is starting to kick off all ready a lot of buildtips and notes ,

iam with Bob on balsa build and as Colin says its ok if sealed , but takes a fair bit of work,

i like plank on frame or styreen , or premade hulls , allso balsa is a bit on the costly side .......LARRY...

Tony Hadley25/11/2012 11:12:28
902 forum posts
542 photos

Larry,

You are quite right with balsa (and other materials) being costly. It would have been far more cost effective for me to have bought the styrene hull from myhobbystore. The hidden costs like petrol, bus fares, parking or postage (for mail order/online purchasing) have to be factored in. However, I decided to build this one as Vic's item in the 1982 magazine.

As Bob says earlier, a quainte boat of yesteryear, full of olde worlde charme.

Tony.

Bob Abell25/11/2012 11:17:23
8956 forum posts
2824 photos

Hello Boys

Balsa wood is perfectly ok for authentic vintage models

Post a few more pictures, please, Tony

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor