All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
LARRY WHETTON23/10/2012 15:09:27
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hello All ,

Ihave just been given a little static sail boat ,

looking to converting to rc , by connecting the rudder to main sail ,

just idea , can any body help with the convrsion , no nothing bout sail boats so keep it simple ....thank you Larry....my little boat (1).jpg

my little boat (2).jpg

my little boat (4).jpg

my little boat (3).jpg

Edited By LARRY WHETTON boatman76 on 23/10/2012 15:15:09

Len Ochiltree23/10/2012 17:47:15
525 forum posts
64 photos

Are you going to RC the Duck?.

Len.

Colin Bishop23/10/2012 18:03:19
4299 forum posts
6051 photos
394 articles

Larry,

There doesn't seem to be anywhere practical to hide the R/C gear and I do wonder just how stable it would be.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 24/10/2012 09:43:19

Paul T23/10/2012 18:24:34
6807 forum posts
1130 photos
2 articles

Larry

It could be done with the addition of a weighted keel and being clever with the servos etc but you will need to sort the sail rig out as its all wrong at the moment.

Paul

LARRY WHETTON23/10/2012 20:00:48
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hello ,

Thank you for replys...thre is a lrge bench in the stern , and it will have a false lead keel ,

like on my black rose pirate ship......and the gear will be stowed under fish boxes ....

Len the duck as been fitted with RC it was on local tv for the jubilee.......

kids love it ...........please keep the ideas coming ......Larry.....

Andy Hustler23/10/2012 22:30:44
480 forum posts
10 photos

larry i reckon this hobby has drove you QUACKERS !!!!!!!!

Bob Abell24/10/2012 12:29:04
8342 forum posts
2558 photos

Hello Larry

I like your Union Jack duck

Very appropriate for the Jubilee celebrations

Bob

LARRY WHETTON24/10/2012 16:44:19
819 forum posts
600 photos

Thank you Bob ,

it only cost a tenner.. and the running gear came from a toy boat out of a skip,

as flat sheet lead keel and the pocks out of is bum , that will make your eyes water cheeky...

rudder on a stanard servo motor 350 out of toy home made shaft and coupling buggy power pack though 10amp esc............also built a plank on frame sea queen for the same bash complete with hre majersty....Larry..

Malcolm Frary25/10/2012 20:24:16
803 forum posts

{looking to converting to rc , by connecting the rudder to main sail}

That kind of arrangement involved the main boom having two lines that had a cross-over on their way to the tiller quadrant (an arm each side of the tiller), and a centering spring on the tiller as a form of self steering (look up "Braine gear". It would try to keep a set heading to the wind. If the boat headed nearer the wind, sail pressure relaxed, the tiller would steer away from the wind and vice versa. An entertaing black art to set up.

This is an alernative to radio control, and they would probably work against each other.

You could always set the sail at half out, great for running across wind, passable for heading into wind and workable downwind, with the radio just working the rudder.

Paul T26/10/2012 06:22:16
6807 forum posts
1130 photos
2 articles

Larry

HRH certainly gets about and looks great in your super Sea Queen, did she walk aboard or come in by parachute?

How is the sail conversion coming on?

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Cadma new
Premier Thursday
Premier March
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor