Fitting out hull

I.e. props shafts

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mick27/10/2007 21:58:00
127 forum posts
74 photos

i have a 42"+12" hull i have two decoperms spare and was going to put these in

but could do with some advise with length of shafts +how big the rudders should be was

also going to put in two 6v 4amp hr batterys in  but would i get enough running time ?

i also wondered what props to use and was going to put two bobs boards in to keep costs

down what rateing should i use  well hope you lads can help tryig to keep cost down as being on a fixed income thanks for your time 

Jake Knight22/02/2008 20:59:00
90 forum posts
24 photos

hi mick

as you said your boat is 42"+12" but what typre of boat is it?

if its a slow boat and the motors have to push along a lot of weight a bigger battery may be needed

but i have used 6v 4amp on some of my boats and it gives a very long running time of up to 1 hour

Len Ochiltree23/02/2008 12:56:00
525 forum posts
64 photos

Hi Mick,

As a rule I try to keep my motors above the water line,others keep their prop shafts horizontal,have a trial run to see where all the electric stuff will fit ,then you can work out how long and where motor and prop can go.

Len

mick23/02/2008 17:48:00
127 forum posts
74 photos

to jake knight i have changed tack on twin shafts decided to put a 12v motor in

i am useing mfa 850 with a water cooling coil on and a 12v 7amp hr battery

and a 55 twin bladed prop with an electonize 15amp esc do you think this should

be ok look on my photos its the boat i was trying to find the name of i have decided

to modify it to look like a chris craft boat thanks for the input mick

Paul T23/02/2008 20:02:00
7231 forum posts
1226 photos
2 articles

Hi Mick 

I would advise caution before fitting the esc it would be best to check how many amps the motor pulls under full load, to do this fit the motor / prop shaft / prop in the hull and put it in a bath full of water connect an amp meter to the loop and fire up the motor this will give you the maximum amp load.

Paul

mick23/02/2008 20:36:00
127 forum posts
74 photos

hiya paul

the amp load that mfa say is supposed  to pull 11amp max  but i will check just i case

thanks for mentioning  it  never thought about  that  i was just  going  what was stated thanks

mick 

Paul T24/02/2008 20:16:00
7231 forum posts
1226 photos
2 articles

Hi Mick

The size of prop and the tightness of the prop shaft all add to the amp draw you might be surprised at just how many amps the initial pull will be.

Paul

mick24/02/2008 20:39:00
127 forum posts
74 photos

hiya paul  you made me think and i have mfa mechanical controller i might  use

that instead dont wont to blow the esc although  it is fused at 15 amps  thanks

again mick 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor