Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Project Glasgow

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
RON HALE06/08/2012 12:22:35
5 forum posts

Hi All

I have recently completed the construction of the Glasgow PS but have run into a problem

when giving it a bath test. It appears to require considerable ballast but where to put it?

No mention of ballast in the instructions ? Does it mean cutting access holes in the deck ?

Does anyone have a sensible answer to this problem? I had no other problems with the

construction.

Ron (new to forum)

Terry Plumridge06/08/2012 20:52:45
86 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Bob, I am following this thread with great interest. The Glasgow is one of the models on my shortlist for my winter build. Please keep the updates coming, if you have time of course.

Cheers, Terry.

Bob Abell06/08/2012 21:37:05
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Terry......Sure will!

Many thanks for looking in!

Bob

Paul T07/08/2012 07:06:53
7140 forum posts
1204 photos
2 articles

Bob

Ron has raised an interesting, and for him a worrying problem.

As an experienced paddler yourself and given that you are building the same kit how would you solve the problem.

Paul

Bob Abell07/08/2012 07:42:04
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

A tricky problem for Ron, since his model is complete!

In his case, I would test float the boat in the bath and add ballast on the deck temporarily and see how much much weight we're talking about?

Can you do that Ron and come back to us with the info, please?

For my model, I may adopt the GE style of keel weight, but the plastic hull would need beefing up!

I think a low down waterline might be nice, so that the paddles have some work to do and hence some visible paddle wash?

Bob

Ducky07/08/2012 08:57:50
308 forum posts
103 photos

Hi Bob

My first ever build was the Robbe Comtess'a and in that you added 1.8 kg of lead balls as in fishermans weights down the keel and then added a drop of epoxy to fix it in place, I only added .8 kg and a gull wing at 1Kg. But would it be poss-abell to use this method though a small hatchway, might be a bit more expensive but at this stage if it works in might solve Ron's problem.

Duckie

LARRY WHETTON07/08/2012 10:17:54
819 forum posts
600 photos

hi Bob ,

i have fixed a srip of lead flashing to the bottom of hull on black rose pirate ship with doudle sided

carpet tape also use this method to lay deck planking when i use coffee stierers ,

also i have used builder silacone to hold things in place

when the ballest is painted the same coulor as hull you dont nitice in the water ,.Larry..

Bob Abell07/08/2012 10:59:52
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Modellers need to be aware of the risk of sinking with this type of model

In a broadside collision, plastic boats go down to Davy Jones's locker!

A floating device attached to a length of strong cord on deck is a good idea? And any spare space in the hull could be filled with ping pong balls etc

Anyone got a better idea?

Bob

ashley needham07/08/2012 16:47:53
6572 forum posts
144 photos

If nothing else, one of the first things I do as soon as the hull is complete is to bath test it.

I think that Ron`s only options are to add chopped lead/ball weight, as this will fit in odd spaces or as per Larry, to add a false keel. This does not need to be permanent, a couple of small studs fixed in the bottom or better still two blanked off threaded nuts set flush underneath will allow a false keel to be bolted on prior to sailing and not impinge on the models looks while out of the water.

Surely must be some other Glasgow constructors looking at this post??

Expanded polystyrene bits used for loose packaging would be the stuff, small enough to put in the nooks and crannies for extra floatation. I would say a lifeboat made out of foam and attached with PVA to its cradle, and a long thread tied to it would be just the thing for an emergency pop-up flaot!!

Ashley

Bob Abell07/08/2012 16:55:54
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

The hull section in front of the cabin structure is totally inaccessible!

But there is a hatchway glued to the deck, in Ron's case, which could be prised off and made into an accessible ballast loading point

But the whole point is..........We don't know how much lead we are talking about!

Will somebody out there give us a clue, please

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor