Project Glasgow

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T04/08/2012 06:35:43
7140 forum posts
1204 photos
2 articles

Bob

Given how much you paid for the kit I would think that it is a very big problem.

If I were running Graupner I would want to know how such a basic error managed to get through the design and prototype stages of production not just for this kit but for the wider implications involving all of their kits.

I don't know what Graupner consider to be an acceptable margin for design error but in my former professional world an error of 5mm in 1000mm would be unacceptable.

Paul

Edited By Paul T (fat controller) on 04/08/2012 07:02:47

Bob Abell04/08/2012 07:05:28
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Paul

The hull has a central space in the perimeter beading with a dimple marking the paddle axle position

That's the cause of the error

Blame the moulding and not the lovely precise top deck

Bob

Bob Abell04/08/2012 10:19:41
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

The paddlewheels are simply pressed assembly throughout and rather fiddly

The pivot pins are plastic and pressed in......They don`t feel all that permanent to me and was wondering if I should touch each one with a soldering iron to seal them in?

Can`t risk glueing them, for obvious reasons

padwheel.jpg

ashley needham04/08/2012 10:22:01
6572 forum posts
144 photos

Bob, Not seen any other comments about soldering the wheels, so perhaps they work fine as they are? Ashley

Bob Abell04/08/2012 10:26:28
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Thanks Ashley

I can give them a whirl and see what happens......Spares are bound to be available?

Good job I didn`t send my critical Email.....eh?

Bob

Colin Bishop04/08/2012 10:33:08
4508 forum posts
6059 photos
398 articles

Bob

There seem to be quite a few Glasgow models about and I have never heard of them shedding bits of paddle. The wheels themselves have been available for many years and can be purchased separately at around £50 the pair. People use them for scratch built models.

I'd give them a go as they are before making 'improvements', tempting though that may be.

Colin

LARRY WHETTON05/08/2012 11:35:22
819 forum posts
600 photos

Good Morning Bob ,

Watching paddle wheel build with interest , waiting to see your drive chain using the

the kit wheels , and motor links , thinking using graupner wheels for my LULONGA ,

but cost and motors and drive abit pricey , so will have to save up a bit longer,..

i see the the build is up to your first class standeds you should have coulum in a magzine

to help us strugling beginers..........Larry.....

Bob Abell05/08/2012 12:56:46
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Hello Larry

The drive is very simple!

I`m using a 540 motor with 50:1 reduction gearbox and equal 20 T sprockets from HOBBY`S

The tricky part for you, would be making the sprocket drive bushes, as the standard sprocket bushes are too small. You would need a lathe for this item.....

sprock.jpg

pad-1.jpg

pad-2.jpg

Bob

LARRY WHETTON05/08/2012 13:16:20
819 forum posts
600 photos

hI Bob ,

Thank you for reply and info , that looks simple , the sprokets and the chain are they from the same store is that the hobbies who do the dolls house stuff ?

also will paddles run in reverse and have turn braking ? cheers Larrry....

Bob Abell05/08/2012 13:45:30
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Larry

The correct sprocket supplier, is spelt like this.......HOBBY`S .......You can get their catalogue from W H Smiths

The paddles will certainly reverse, but there`s not enough room inside the hull for two sets of drive gear and a 12v battery

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor