Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Project Glasgow

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell27/07/2012 17:41:18
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

After a lapse of about two years, and endless encouragement from my model boating friends, I`ve finally decided to build the Graupner PS Glasgow.......And I like paddlers

I needed something to occupy my mind over the next few months.

The first picture, as a bit of fun, shows the parcel outside the front door, delivered this morning......And I like parcels too!

This will not be a blow by blow description, just work in progress reports every now and then....or if something needs a discussion etc

Oooops! The PC is having a senior moment, or I am!...... can`t find the picture!

Bob Abell27/07/2012 17:44:19
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

parcel.jpg

Found it!

Colin Bishop27/07/2012 18:22:24
4508 forum posts
6059 photos
398 articles

Gosh Bob, who's in there...? The Mummy Returns!

Good luck with the build, we will all follow it with interest.

Colin

Bob Abell27/07/2012 18:47:33
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Thank you, Colin

Now then, what`s in the box?

I was very pleased with the contents and the very neat packaging and consider this a fine start!......Pity I didn`t order the various glues required!

box-1000.jpg

The feathering paddle wheels look interesting!

I love tricky mechanisms!

Bob Abell28/07/2012 05:52:21
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Can anyone recommend a reliable glue for bonding wood to ABS, please?

Reading all the horror stories on the subject, I'm tempted to use PVA with a well scuffed surface?

Bob

Paul T28/07/2012 06:35:35
7140 forum posts
1204 photos
2 articles

Bob

Try an epoxy like Araldite.

Paul

Bob Abell28/07/2012 06:44:46
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Hello Paul

i would have said that, but elsewhere, they say it doesn't work too well?

Hence the question

We'll wait for a few more suggestions

Bob

Paul T28/07/2012 08:12:51
7140 forum posts
1204 photos
2 articles

Bob

Araldite has never let me down but if you are worried about failure you could use a construction grade two pack system such as Hilti or Loctite (expensive but very effective)

For myself if Araldite wont hold a joint I either revert to a mechanical fixing or redesign the joint.

Its nice to see you building again and I am looking forward to the progress reports. Have you chosen an engine yet and if not can I put a vote in for steam then we can see what a true engineer can do with bits of metal.

Paul

Dave Milbourn28/07/2012 08:24:13
3998 forum posts
282 photos

Don't Graupner always recommend their Stabilit Express for joints like these?

Dave M

Bob Abell28/07/2012 08:31:49
8899 forum posts
2781 photos

Thanks Dave

Yes they do!

Only just spotted that in the miniscule instructions.....With a magnifying glass!

I`ve never heard of that glue, so assumed it was only available in Germany, like I said earlier.....Should have ordered it with the kit!

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor