By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Remote/radio controlled boats

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sally Newcomb20/05/2012 21:41:50
4 forum posts

I know nothing about model boats, radio or remote control boats, so need some help.

We have a very large pond and I am about to have a party and would love to have 2 or 3 radio or remote controlled boats to race round the pond. Ideally we'd hire the boats or buy them 2nd hand on Ebay. But I'm not against the idea of buying new if they arent too expensive. They dont have to be particularly fast. It's not a lake, just a big pond.

How straightforward is it to do this?

What is the difference between radio controlled and remote controlled?

Mobile phone signal is very poor in the area, so would we struggle to pick up a frequency?

How long will they keep going after charging?

What do I look for and where do I look?

Thanks in advance

Sally

shipwright20/05/2012 22:13:38
250 forum posts
54 photos

Hello Sally,

My first thought is that you might be able to get some help from a local (to you) model boat club. Is this to be a "one off" display or do you want to sail boats on your pond on a regular basis ?

Don't worry about radio frequency - the boats are normally controlled line of sight from a handheld radio transmitter. In principle, you could control a model boat by using transmission method other than radio (eg light) but in practice radio is the norm.

How long will they run for without recharging ? Difficult to say because this depends on many factors - but 1 hour is quite practical.

What is the approximate size of your pond and how deep is it? Also is it reasonably "weed free" (propellers tend to get tangled up in weed).

Ian

Sally Newcomb20/05/2012 22:26:29
4 forum posts

Hi Ian

Thanks for your reply. It's for a one off birthday party, (unless I get hooked!), hence not wanting to spend too much.

Re weeds - we're pulling the weeds up, so there won't be many.

Size, um approx 5m x 20m I'd say.

Thanks

Sally

shipwright20/05/2012 23:07:19
250 forum posts
54 photos

Sally,

I did a quick search for model boat clubs and this link gives a list :

**LINK**

If it is only a "one off" event there seems little point in purchasing model boat(s) - much better to persuade some keen model boaters to help you by sailing their boats on your pond.

Ian

Len Ochiltree21/05/2012 18:41:09
525 forum posts
64 photos

Hi Sally,

You could use the party to raise funds for the RNLI. face 1

Where are you based?.

Len.

Sally Newcomb21/05/2012 22:40:34
4 forum posts

I'm more than happy to make a donation, but it is a private birthday party, so I cant really ask for money.

HR2 postcode

Thanks

Sally

Len Ochiltree23/05/2012 17:40:04
525 forum posts
64 photos

HR 2 Post Code? the post office does not know that one. I was only asking so that any one in your area may be able to help. Country, County, and Town would help.smiley

Len.

Sally Newcomb23/05/2012 18:48:49
4 forum posts

Ooh sorry. Didn't mean to be awkward. Hoarwithy, Herefordshire. Half way between Hereford and Ross on wye. UK

Telstar23/05/2012 23:31:48
323 forum posts
32 photos

Hi Sally

Maybe an email to the secretary of Gloucester model boat club would give results

**LINK**

Tom

Andy 456 127/02/2013 11:09:07
1 forum posts

Radio Control (RC) boats are a hobby fans young and old to enjoy boating. Sailboats, motorboats and warships are just some of the many designs of fans enjoy RC boats. These boats are powered by electric motors, gasoline engines and even wind power. However, despite all these differences, RC boats fiberglass or plastic, it all starts with a boat mold.

Regards.

Andy.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier Thursday
Cadma new
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
PremierJuly 2019
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor