By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Build the Bismarck - Hachette magazine-model

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neal Moodie07/09/2007 06:42:00
6 forum posts

Has anyone started building this 1/200 scale model?

How does this model (by Amati) compare with other kits - from a quality aspect?

Do you know if it's possible to acquire the whole kit in a one-off purchase, rather than through 140 issues of the magazine?

Thanks,

Neal Moodie 

Ian_G Hughes16/09/2007 20:57:00
21 forum posts

Hi Neale

I have posted to the beginners thread on this topic. I have almost finished the hull but I have used some of my own methods and materials. I have also added 1/16 sheet balsa as the armour plating to make it more noticable.

As far as I know it is not available as a one-off kit. Pity, because at 71 years of age I doubt if I will see the model completed.

Cheers

Ian_G Hughes17/09/2007 19:45:00
21 forum posts

Hi again Neal

To answer your question [you can see I am new at this] I think that all new PoF kits are not as good as they were. Probably to keep costs down. Planking used to be mahogany, now it is obechi or lime.

Many, many years ago I built a Billing's Lilla Dan. What a beautiful kit. Soak the planks for 20 mins then pin to frames using Cascamite adhesive. About 10 years ago I built a Billing's Viking Longship for my wife. What a difference. The times I nearly threw it on the fire because of my frustration with the planking.

As for Hachette's Bismark, I am not happy about the following.

a}  Ply used for frames too hard and does not readily accept pins

b}  Planks are too short. I used 36" lengths of softwood of the same size.

c}  All planks cannot be clamped to frames while glueing so pins have to be used

Cheers

Ian G.

Neal Moodie18/09/2007 07:59:00
6 forum posts

Thanks for the information Ian.

I'm still undecided as to whether or not to go ahead with this.

I had a look at the Aeronaut kit  - on the internet- but on the picture I saw,the scuttles (portholes) on the forward superstructure appeared somewhat oversized, which has put me off their kit.

Regards,

Neal 

Ian_G Hughes18/09/2007 21:05:00
21 forum posts

Hi Neal

Sorry. Can't help you. have never seen the Aeronaut kit, nor have I ever built one.

I have just finished planing the hull and next step is to fill gaps [and there are many!] with Isopon. Then I will sand it smooth. After that I think I will clad it with fine mesh bandage and Polyurethane Matt varnish as opposed to glass fibre and resin.

Hope to upload some pix when I have learned how!

Cheers

Ian

The Long Build18/09/2007 22:06:00
714 forum posts
270 photos

Hi Neal

There is a very good write up about the Bismarck - Hachette magazine-model on the Model Mayhem site..www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk

Vinnie Branigan18/09/2007 22:08:00
443 forum posts
294 photos
8 articles

Clickable links are always better! 

Model Mayhem

Vinnie 

Neal Moodie19/09/2007 06:49:00
6 forum posts
Thank you all for the info.
Manxman15/10/2007 20:31:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

HI Neal

I've been watching this build and it looks very good, loads of etched brass work to come and the detailing seems to be very good

Both Vinnie and Larry never mentioned two other build sites, these are :

http://www.buildthebismarck.co.uk/index.html

this is and English site and is upto week 31  -  also try

http://www.subifa.de/heftvorschau/die_bismarck_aktuell.htm

this is a German site and upto week 58 (they are ahead of us with their issues)

I like watching Martins build on Mayhem - reminds me of my kids when they were younger and came home with models they had made in school - dripping with glue ! - sorry Martin.

Cheers - Ken

Robert McHutchion20/11/2007 09:44:00
66 forum posts
10 photos

hi neal,

i am doing the bismarck parts build and am on issue 28, most here in england are around 34-35, but i deliberated for a month whether to do her or not. as a novice, again, (sic) at 49 decided to have a go at modelling again and having only done plastic before am enjoying this very much.

the first build site mentioned above is great, lots of info and methodology from young and old. there is even a chap with issues1-35 on offer for £60 ono,

anyway she is looking pretty good right now with first layer of planking on and superstructure just started.

come on aboard the site, their great chaps

regards robert

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor