By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Electronic speed controller

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Arendse29/08/2007 20:44:00
38 forum posts
hi guys,just joined,great website..need some info-have a 1,5 m  destroyer-scratch built with 12v gelcel  battery with twin 5100 rpm mfa  motors.need a 12v speed controller -frward and reverse,please and could I get a diagram of wiring.
The Ships Cat01/09/2007 07:08:00
6 forum posts
I have had very good service from ACTion electronics of Nottingham. You need to know max current the motors take. I would think 10 or 20 amp controller.
Steve Arendse01/09/2007 12:58:00
38 forum posts
thanks again.motors take 65w output.is that correct?
Archibald Mainstream01/09/2007 19:56:00
78 forum posts

I too have had very good service from Action, I have found them very helpful and a very quick service. I would highly recommend anyone to give them a call, can't fault them.

I have no connection just a very happy customer.

Daryl

Steve Arendse01/09/2007 21:15:00
38 forum posts
thanks Daryl
The Ships Cat01/09/2007 21:45:00
6 forum posts

Hi Steve, The information that you need is the max current that the motor will take this will be a reading measured in amps. If the motor is taking 65watts at 12 volts then it will be drawing about 5.5 amps . If you give the model number of the moter then you can look on the net for the specification of the motor. Always remember to fit a suitable fuse between the battery and the speed controller, the rating of this fuse will need to be less than the maximum current rating of the speed controller. If you give Dave a call at ACTion then he will help with advice on a suitable controller , but he will need the model number of the motor.

I also have no connection with the ACTion Electronics, just another happy customer.

Steve Arendse02/09/2007 19:05:00
38 forum posts
Thanks,will call in the morning,Will post pic of ship in near future-just completing her-my baby...ha ha
Seaspray02/09/2007 19:58:00
47 forum posts
1 photos

Hi

Check out the spec of your motor at the MFA site. Spec might be on the motor label.

The MFA motor drawing 5.3 amps seems to be the Torpedo 800 (12V) rpm 5167  typical current draw.

You can control each motor by its own ESC which needs to cover the 5.1 amps draw on each motor. You can use a larger ESC to run both motors together .But most models I've seen use two ESC running one motor each. You can also use this system to help turn as the motors are indepenant of each other.

Also one fails the other will bring you back to shore. Also look into a ESC with  B.E.C I prefer it.

You can also look at these ESCs  www.electronize.co.uk site. I've got 4 and they have been no trouble.

Goog Luck

The Ships Cat02/09/2007 20:24:00
6 forum posts

I have tried to order a kit from Electronize and I can only relate the problems myself and other people have had with them. I ordered a kit from them on 12th August paying by credit card. I emailed them on 22nd August chasing the order, no reply , I tried phoning them on 23rd and 24th August , no reply. I emailed them again on 28th August, they responded that day to say too busy to answer the phone and too busy to reply to emails. They did say they would try and get the kit out by end of week. This would mean that I would have been waiting 3 weeks, very poor customer service in my opinion. I cancelled the order. I do have copies of all emails as proof of facts.

I phoned ACTion Electronics at mid day and their controller was delivered by Royal Mail at half past nine the next day.

So you have to decide who gives the best service.

Seaspray03/09/2007 08:28:00
47 forum posts
1 photos

Hi

I get my model boats  and fittings and ESC from Westbourne Model Centre,Bournemouth 01202763480 . I ask for Barry he seems to be the boat man there.

Or any good model shop will have a stock of Electronize Speed Controllers

After years of working in assembly of electronics I am prone to buy the ready made unit not the kit. l.o.l

As I said do have  a look at the site

I use LRP ESC in the cars

Good Luck

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor