By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Ships plans?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Trueman16/08/2007 16:55:00
6 forum posts
I am interested in building a model of either HMS Pandora or the Endurance (Shackleton's vessel). Does anyone know if plans are available?
Paul Freshney18/08/2007 21:26:00
291 forum posts
15 photos
A brief Google search 'HMS Enduance plans, Shackleton' threw up 374 links - one of which is: reference.info.com which tells you who built the ship, when, where etc. which must be a good starting point for finding the original plans or copies thereof.
Guido Sambucetti23/08/2007 02:29:00
55 forum posts
Have you tried the National Maritime Museum Greenwich? They have an impressive plans collection. Their website is www.nmm.ac.uk, surely you´ll find an e-mail address there to contact them.
Tony Hadley23/08/2007 10:58:00
892 forum posts
533 photos

Hi Alan,

The  'Endurance' started life as the tourist vessel 'Polaris'. Constructed in Norway at the Famnaes yard in Sandefjord. Designed to take rich visitors to the polar regions.

Good luck.

This link may be of use http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/E/ends/shackleton_intro.html

Guido Sambucetti26/08/2007 14:52:00
55 forum posts

Hello Alan,

As I´m not British I´m not familiar with the history of most of your Navy´s ships, so I´m not sure which Pandora you want to build. If it´s the 24 gun frigate, there´s an excellent book on it in the Anatomy of the Ship series; this series if famous for the excellent drawing included. You can find it at http://www.anovabooks.com/imprint/conway/list.jsp cost is 25 Pounds Sterling. Another choice may be www.bookfinder.com, you may find a used copy there at a cheaper price.

Good luck!

GUIDO.

Seaspray02/09/2007 15:26:00
47 forum posts
1 photos

Hi

The National Maritime Museum is pretty expensive to buy plans from x amount per sheet plus postage and the more sheets the more the postage. I gave up and went else where

Good Luck

Alan Trueman29/09/2007 15:11:00
6 forum posts
I have been away for a few weeks and have just returned home to find a number of replies to my query. Thanks everyone, I will start checking out your suggestions.
Sailor Bob10/10/2007 02:12:00
22 forum posts

Hi Alan:

Don't know if you have found anything but see my post to Charles Reading re the Endurance.

Too many people wanting to make a model of that boat!

Good luck.

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
CADMA
Shrek
PremierJuly 2019
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor