By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Painting Problems

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike C29/07/2007 10:38:00
3 forum posts
Can anybody throw any light on a problem i have encountered when painting the Hull of a Robbe Valdiva.

I have been paint hte upper part of a valdiva hullusing Halfords Satin black paint. The paint goes on fine, however when it dries I can make out the profiles of items that are glued to the innerface of the hull,ie supports for the bullwarks or strengthening strips.

The hull was rubbed down with 600 grit wet and dry prior to painting, also the paint was rubbed down between coats.

I have used this type of paint on neumerous hulls before with no problem.
Tomo01/08/2007 07:49:00
8 forum posts
Hi Mike
What glue did you use to attach the internal fittings? as this might be the problem.
HS 9301/08/2007 15:28:00
91 forum posts
25 photos
What did you use as a primer, and how many coats of it did you use ?

Peter
HS 9303/08/2007 01:08:00
91 forum posts
25 photos
Hi I had a look at the boat you are painting and did not realise it was vac formed. the problem can be caused by the glue bleading through most glues weld abs so react with the plastic if it was only a few days between glueing and painting it was prob because the glue had not had time to finnish "fumming" the solvent evaporating, if it was longer it may be due to it etching on the other side did you sand down the primer befor top coat? if so was there any sign of the etching on the out side ? black is one of the worst colour for showing marks in finnish ask any car painter. anyway you may have to re prime the areas I would use a filler primer and sand it down , most are grey and you may have to prime all the are as if you use a light primer it may show through as lighter, you could also give it a few coats of the red to the efected are and sand in between.let me know how you get on Peter
Paul T04/08/2007 08:20:00
7146 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles
Hi Mike
This sounds like a glue problem and I would say that Peters(HS 93)diagnosis is perfect and his advice on painting is well worth following.
My only other thought is to look at the vac forming itself within the plastic parts, has this process produced "dishing" in the mouldings which might only become to light when painted.
Mike C19/08/2007 17:10:00
3 forum posts

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Regards

Mike Caple

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor