Three Paddlers

Warship Day regatta

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell10/09/2011 12:48:27
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
It`s our "Warship day" regatta tomorrow in aid of "Help for Hero`s fund

So specially for the occasion, "Jeanie Deans at War" and "Jeanie Deans at Peace" are coming out of retirement, in line of duty
It`s a bit of a shame that Great Eastern couldn`t be there too.......Sorry Bruno, campervan full
The weather forecast is frightful.......High winds and rain.....all day!
So what`s new?

Three paddler lineup, for the first time.......JDaP....JDaW....and Great Eastern

Bob

ashley needham11/09/2011 07:32:39
7645 forum posts
159 photos
Bob. That is a truly great picture.

It reminds me that I have everything BUT a paddler in my collection. I must look around for an unusual paddler. It reminds me that the Yan...Sorry..Americans used a paddle steamer aircraft carrier during the last war for training....would be an unusual model!!

Have just noticed the extremely fine entry of the bows on the J`s. Very sharp indeed.

Ashley
Bob Abell11/09/2011 07:41:51
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Thank you,Ashley
We're hoping for some nice weather today, but the forecast is not good.....
Got the remnant of the hurricane coming our way!

Might get some interesting stormy weather stuff?

Bob
David Meier11/09/2011 12:17:03
205 forum posts
81 photos
Stunning looking ships Bob.
What have you got on the building blocks at the moment?

David.
Bob Abell11/09/2011 21:14:27
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Thank you, David

I`ve got nothing on the stocks at present, but I realise now, that I could do with a smallish craft for less energetic trips to the pond!
These big boats are a bind at times!

Bob
Bob Abell11/09/2011 21:20:02
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
We had a super day today afterall.......The much predicted bad weather, failed to materialise!

One of our club members brought along his Aqua-bike and I was talked into having a go!

Think I need another medal for this brave venture?

More pictures tomorrow, from the show

G`nite......Bob
David Meier12/09/2011 04:57:32
205 forum posts
81 photos
Ahoy there Captain Able.

What is the story? It is not a paddle wheel craft!

Out of interest what is the drive arrangement to the propeller or propellers? There must be a few right-angles to go through.

David
Bob Abell12/09/2011 07:35:22
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Hello Dave, I`m glad you asked!

Here`s another picture of Club member, Martin Sutcliffe`s Aqua-bike.
It`s made from the cut-down hulls of a abandoned catamaran and an olde worlde bike.
The chain is connected to a mitre gearbox at the front, which is connected to a pivotting prop shaft.
The handlebars have control wires to each rudder
The public had great fun and laughter, with camera`s clicking all day, pedalling round the lake, with a small donation going to the Help the Hero`s fund

Martin made a model of the craft, many years ago, before he spotted the abandoned catamaran and it was alway`s on his mind to make the full sized version, one day

Here he is, in his Edwardian dress...

Always a crowd puller................Thank`s, Martin!

Bob
Bob Abell12/09/2011 09:20:41
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Due to the uncertain weather yesterday, I only managed to get JDAW in the water....and that wasn`t for too long!
The port side paddle wheel was damaged on some driftwood or even a big dreamy carp!

Note how the cammo makes the ship hard to focus on?.......Or it could be just a bad photo!

Bob
Bob Abell12/09/2011 09:28:47
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Another crowd gatherer was Chris Gutteridge`s giant scale 88 FLAK Cannon!
Built from a kit and fired 0.38" blank cartridges!
He had great sadistic fun, firing when the unsuspecting public were strolling by!
He also kept the ducks on their toes all day!

The camera shows the scale of the beast!

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor