By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Make it yourself, mini Oscillating sander.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Meier17/08/2011 08:56:56
205 forum posts
81 photos
Hi folks. I have been wanting to try this for a long time, so when I spotted a cheap battery powered electric toothbrush on Dealextream, http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2w-electric-toothbrush-blue-white-2-x-aa-80925 For $6.50 US. I thought that I would give it a go.

I cut the bristles off the brush head with a craft knife and glued a small cube of wood on, then glued on a 10mm x 10mm x3mm piece cut from a foam sanding block.

It works well at sanding small recessed surfaces that you cant get much of a stroke to hand sand.

That is all.

David.
Bob Abell17/08/2011 09:24:58
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
That`s a brilliant idea!

Well done, Dave

Bob
David Meier17/08/2011 09:51:02
205 forum posts
81 photos
Thanks Bob.
I am sure that you would find it useful on your Beautifully detailed models.

I have been guilty of the sin of lurking on the forum these last few months and have been watching with interest, the development of the cable laying fit out of your Great Eastern. It looks great and must be hugely exciting now that the filming is about to begin.

David.
Tony Burton25/08/2011 20:48:45
133 forum posts
49 photos
Hi David
That use of the electric toothbrush is amazing........I just went and got one with 5 extra brushes and it works superbly.
What a clever idea
Tony

David Meier27/08/2011 08:44:28
205 forum posts
81 photos
Hi Tony.
Good on you for giving it a go, I am glad that you are pleased with the result.
David.
Colin Bishop28/12/2018 16:04:26
5192 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

I came across this topic whilst disposing of a spam post. Having just changed our electric toothbrushes and kept the originals (just in case they come in useful!) I have converted one similarly to as described above except that I epoxied a small cube of wood to the head and used double sided tape to attach a square of aprasive paper - it works really well if tou want to do some delicate mechanical sanding. Easy to put a new pad of abrasive paper on too by simply peeling off the old one first.

If tou don't have a spare toothbrush then Wilko sell an excellent one powered by 2AA batteries for just £4.50 and spare heads are cheap too:

**LINK**

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 28/12/2018 16:05:42

Ray Wood 228/12/2018 17:32:25
2840 forum posts
988 photos

Hi all,

My long suffering wife has been looking for her toothbrush all day 😂, I said the grandchildren must have hidden it ! The motors are handy as well for small boats on 1.5volts 😁

Regards Ray

Dave Milbourn28/12/2018 18:02:58
4025 forum posts
282 photos

I wired one up to a 3v PSU and I use it with the brush heads and a solvent for cleaning printed circuit boards - brilliant!
DM

neil howard-pritchard28/12/2018 22:47:20
2247 forum posts
2706 photos

I like that very much...………...I have an old Proxxon pencil sander, and I bet a bottom dollar that this method works far better than the proxxon does or ever has done for that matter..

Colin Bishop28/12/2018 23:19:18
5192 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

I have the Prxxon pencil sander too and it is much more violent!

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Sarik
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor