By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

"Red Lead" Paint

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Don Koehler06/08/2011 06:14:00
17 forum posts
I'm working on a model where the focsle and quarterdeck are painted in red lead rather than having a finish coat in another clolour. Presumably this is because it was easier to touch up if worn or damaged. I discovered this too late, having finally found a rare colour photo of the ship. I know that I could use a spray red primer from Halford's or elswhere, but I don't think I am in a position to spray the coating due to space and detail restrictions on the model. Is there in anyone's opinion a suitable brush on substitute for red lead, preferably in the acrylic ranges? I think Tamiya Hull Red is too dark.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Colin Bishop06/08/2011 08:43:33
5192 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles
You need a subdued orangey red to represent red lead. Maybe mixing something would do the job. Alternatively you could spray Halfords red primer into a shallow container and then use a brush to apply it to the model. I have successfully used this method for touch up purposes although you need to practice a bit first as it dries quickly.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 07/08/2011 17:32:53

Don Koehler07/08/2011 13:55:39
17 forum posts
Thanks for your response Colin, I'll give your suggestion a try. Amazing that no-one manufactures a red lead colour in acrylic. The Navy used to use the stuff by the ton.

Cheers

Don
Colin Bishop07/08/2011 17:35:06
5192 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles
I rather suspect that the range of colours these days is marketed with aircraft and model soldiers in mind. Warships usually get by on grey! However there are some rust colours around I think which might be an option.
ashley needham07/08/2011 19:10:59
7640 forum posts
159 photos
What about plain red-oxide paint???

Ashley
Colin Bishop07/08/2011 20:39:23
5192 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles
Usually tends to come in rather larger than Humbrol size cans Ashley. Plus you need to be sure it isn't a cellulose solvent. The stuff I have in a tin is quite thick as well so you need to know what to thin it with, cellulose thinners probably.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 07/08/2011 20:40:50

ashley needham08/08/2011 11:32:20
7640 forum posts
159 photos
Colin, true, but there is a lot of water based stuff out there now..the last lot of red oxide I bought was water based and was not as thick as some I have used before.Come to think of it, I had trouble finding much other than water based paint (I was after some matt black to do the front porch light with) in Wilkinsons.

A smallish tin is not too expensive and it can be used on ships bottoms, rusty tools,lawnmowers gates cars etc etc.

Ashley
Colin Bishop08/08/2011 11:52:22
5192 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles
Not on my car mate! It's a blue one....
geoffrey yarham15/08/2011 11:40:12
42 forum posts
77 photos
Don, Having used red lead paint no cast iron gutter when I was apprentice. the colour is more of a pink then red, so red oxide is NOT right. The modelers habit of nice planking on all wooden decks is not always correct. As boats with a minimum crew hadn't time to holy stone decks, done to stop the planks shrinking therefore preventing leaks. The decks would be painted with allsorts of concoctions usually ending up a dirty brown. R.G.Y

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor