Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

SAR&H STEAM TUGS

CF KAYSER

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

ROY LORENTZ01/06/2011 08:27:27
4 forum posts
SHE LOOKS LOVELY ON THE WATER.WHAT BEAUTIFUL SHIPS THEY ALL WERE.
Ralph Wilmot22/06/2011 21:14:47
22 forum posts
91 photos
Looks brilliant, a real work of art.
I'am building JR More.
Pierre28/06/2011 17:10:20
86 forum posts
65 photos
She certainly looks good!! They were good looking tugs .............pity they were bloody awful to handle!!!

Pierre28/06/2011 17:28:56
86 forum posts
65 photos
Sorry - last post is a little patronising. I joined SAR&H in 1978 - started on the steam tugs - we had the Danie Hugo, RB Waterston,and the RH Watermeyer in Cape Town at the time. I also served on the Otto Siedle and RM Campbell in Walvis Bay . I started as FDO (First Deck Officer) and was promoted to Master, still on steam tugs. I am still a TugMaster in CapeTown and have driven steam tugs, Z-pellers and Voiths.
Our model club (wpmbc.co.za) has a number of the old steam tugs and they do look magnificent on the water!
ARTHUR COLLETT10/07/2011 09:15:10
80 forum posts
57 photos
Hi Pierre
Greetings from Vanderbijlpark. I remeber a few years ago (45 or so) one of the SAR&H tugs was struck by a propeller and sunk in the harbour. The only thing vissible was a weather cock and some masts. I know this tug was salvaged but cannot remeber the name. I was lucky that my late farther was a keen onlooker in the harbour operations. Pitty due to security we cannot visit the main passenger terminal in Durban anymore. i observed many vessels including the S.A. Vaal from that deck. Maybe someone can remeber this incedent also.
Regards
Arthur
Mzee15/07/2011 07:52:50
100 forum posts
163 photos
Hi Arthur,
That was CF Kayser's sister ship, the Eriksen.
Regards;
Rob
ROY LORENTZ16/07/2011 13:08:51
4 forum posts
Hello there,

Arthur,are you not perhaps thinking of the SCHERMBRUCKER which sank in the
East London harbour after a collision with the CITY OF PORT ELIZABETH .She
tried to make it back to the dry dock but sank at the entrance .She was salvaged
and returned to service.

Regards,

Roy.

ROY LORENTZ16/07/2011 13:40:19
4 forum posts

Hello again,

The SCHERMBRUCKER in fact sank on 1-2-1960. I am trying to post a ophotograph of her on this forum.

Roy
Mzee16/07/2011 15:34:23
100 forum posts
163 photos
Roy, you are quite right - it was the F. Schermbrucker and not the T. Eriksen as previously thought.
Regards,
Rob
Mzee16/07/2011 16:21:55
100 forum posts
163 photos
Addendum to previous message:

Dec 1965 - T Eriksen - Durban Harbour: 
Collided with the Angola, sank, refloated

Feb 1963 - F Schermbrucker - East London harbour: 
Collision, sank and refloated
Regards,
Rob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor