Forum sponsored by Dremel

Exciting development!

The Great Eastern Saga!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell29/04/2011 07:45:18
8174 forum posts
2519 photos
Forget to mention chaps, that the cable integrity was carried out by a galvanometer, during the entire Atlantic crossing, so that they knew when the cable broke!

The cable snapped several times, but the engineers were prepared for it.
They had a grappling device at the bows and managed to catch the cable by drifting across the area by sail power!

They managed to retrieve a broken cable from a depth of 2000 fathoms!.....thats 13000 feet in real money! Can you imagine drifting along in a heavy swell in mid Atlantic, trying to find a needle in a haystack......with a bent pin at a relative depth of 350 feet!

How they knew the cable was actually grappled is a mystery. The recovery wire was made up of 100 fathom lengths, joined with shackles. Can you again imagine 12000 feet of wire with shackles every 600 feet.....needless to say....the recovery wire was also prone to snapping.
The engineers must have been very strong willed competent men, full of grit and determination.......and very brave

Great Eastern did not work alone.......there were navy ships involved...eg.....HMS Sphinx and HMS Terrible on the first trip, plus a six colliers.....one was lost without trace.....ships with extra cable and recovery wire.......and they were all in contact with each other by flag waving and pilot boats

It must have been a great undertaking.......because of the final goal.....International communication!

There were about four cables to America and several to Gibralter. Aden and India and beyond!

So despite Great Eastern`s so called failure.......It did the job successfully for Great Britain!

Let`s have a fifty gun salute and three cheers for our boys?......Hip Hip Hip Hooray.....Followed by a roll of drums and trumpet fanfare!

Now let`s get back to work!

Capt Bob
Mark Beard29/04/2011 08:28:58
163 forum posts
84 photos
Posted by Bob Abell on 29/04/2011 05:48:22:
The plan now is to visit Maplins and see how big the drums of wire are and what will fit the hold.

The cable I had in mind when I mentioned a coax screened cable was very small and flexible from Maplin. I'm not sure which one it is by looking at the website, but if you PM a postal address I will pop a sample in the post to you. If it's suitable, you could take it along and ask for more of that!

Bob Abell30/04/2011 08:51:33
8174 forum posts
2519 photos
Further thoughts on cable laying

Think of the load pulling on the winch mechanism with the cable at 12000 feet! There must be hundreds of tons involved!

No wonder the winch had enormous gears and double brake drums!......If the lake we sail on is very deep.....we might have a similar problem?

I`ve fitted twin brake drums to my winch for appearance........ and just in case!

BTW....The TV people are reading this thread, to keep themselves up to date with progress

Bob
Mark Beard30/04/2011 12:51:57
163 forum posts
84 photos
Bob, that very much depends on whether the chosen cable floats or sinks!

The screened cable I was thinking of is 2mm in diameter, is very flexible and actually sinks in tap water!

Mark
Mark Beard30/04/2011 12:58:03
163 forum posts
84 photos
Looking again, I think the Maplin part number for this cable is XR15R and is priced at £0.79 per meter. This will give you two conductors, an inner core and an outer screen, just like the real thing.

Mark.

PS 100m reel is £39.

Edited By Billysugger on 30/04/2011 13:01:16

Bob Abell30/04/2011 13:41:02
8174 forum posts
2519 photos
Thank you, Mark

Sounds a little too good for the job?

Here`s the tricky bit..........What length of cable can get in 75 dia x 150 long?

Another concern is.....How do I rewind the cable after a dummy run?.......covered in toxic duck muck water!
I was hoping the have several drums of wire to avoid this problem

Just curious............Bob
Bob Abell30/04/2011 19:38:29
8174 forum posts
2519 photos

Two views of the stern showing the payout sheave
No authentic pictures seem to be available of this section

Dramatic view from sea level!
The cable shown is not to scale

Mark Beard30/04/2011 21:04:21
163 forum posts
84 photos
Posted by Bob Abell on 30/04/2011 13:41:02:
What length of cable can get in 75 dia x 150 long?

Is the hold 150mm long, or do you have extra length to run the cable from the drum/spool to the paying out gear? Extra length would be good, even if not absolutely necessary.
Bob Abell30/04/2011 21:20:42
8174 forum posts
2519 photos
Hello there, Mark

I`ve got about 32" from the spool to the intermediate winch mech.......then about 12" to the paying out sheave

Still would like to know how much wire is there in a drum 150 mm long X 75 mm dia?

Bob
Mark Beard30/04/2011 21:23:36
163 forum posts
84 photos
Oh that's excellent... working on it at the moment....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Boats? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Expo Tools July 14th
Premier Thursday
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor