Fairey Swordsman Plans

Return of a classic!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop25/02/2011 20:49:39
4441 forum posts
6055 photos
395 articles

This plan was first published as a Complimentary Free Plan in Volume 49, Issue No. 582 of Model Boats, 30th April to 27th May 1999. There has been a regular demand for it on the model boating forums and thanks to the kindness of its designer Dave Milbourn, we are now able to re-introduce it into the MyHobbyStore Plans Service. It is 614mm long over the deck rubbing strips fore and aft.

It is two sheet plan including full constructional information and as of early 2011 there was also a building log on the Model Boat Mayhem website. That building log is by John Elsy who has contributed a number of excellent articles to Model Boats magazine in recent years.

The plan number is MM2058, consisting of two sheets priced at £9.95 + p&p available online via www.myhobbystore.co.uk or by telephoning: 0844 848 8822 during normal office hours. Copies of the relevant accompanying article from Model Boats issue No. 582 may also be ordered from MyHobbyStore.

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 25/02/2011 20:54:38

IAN BROWN 109/07/2012 18:47:50
1 forum posts
5 photos

I have just been given an aerokits fairey swordsman model boat which has been partly started along with the boat is a plan but no instructions on how to build it. is there a step by step instruction guild or is there any way of getting hold of a copy of model boat volume 49 issue No. 582.

Many thanks

Ian

Dave Milbourn10/07/2012 09:20:23
3968 forum posts
258 photos

The construction of my little Swordsman and the Aerokits kit are quite different and so I very much doubt if a copy of the plans of one would assist you greatly in building the other.
That said, if you do want a copy then just click on 'Shop' at the top of this page and follow the search trail until you get to enter the plan number. MHS can also probably supply a back-copy of the magazine, or a photocopy of the article at the very least. There's a phone number in the previous posting.
John Elsy's excellent building "blog" is here **LINK**

Dave M

Bob Hargreaves24/01/2013 13:52:35
1 forum posts

I have an old Fairy Swordsman which i have dug out of the loft after 38 years and want to fit a new electric motor and radio control - can anyone advise on the best best motor / battery combination ?

Regards Bob Hargreaves

LARRY WHETTON24/01/2013 16:32:21
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hi Bob,...

540 driving 30mm prop 7.5 stick pack batt .....action 20 amp esc.. larrysworsman

swordsman

theres seems to be outbreak of Swordsmen...

Paul T25/01/2013 07:57:30
7020 forum posts
1184 photos
2 articles

Hello Larry

On the same subject of an outbreak of Fairey Boats my 1:6 scale Huntress is sat in the shed waiting for warmer weather to complete the paint work.

This version is a corruption of Dave M's little Swordsman plan and has an overall length 1500mm (5ft)

img_4070 (small).jpg

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 25/01/2013 08:03:28

LARRY WHETTON25/01/2013 09:45:43
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hello Paul,

That is some Swordsman ,.....thats the size of my summer work shop....Larry.

Paul T25/01/2013 10:14:22
7020 forum posts
1184 photos
2 articles

Hello Larry

It was designed to be driven by a 2 stroke strimmer engine but as its being built to raise funds for Parkinsons I have been persuaded to fit two stonking great big electric motors instead. Run time between charges will only be about 15 minutes but it should be nice and fast.

Paul

LARRY WHETTON25/01/2013 17:15:05
819 forum posts
600 photos

Hi Paul,

What size motors , and whats the drive line ?.....Larry...

Paul T25/01/2013 17:46:45
7020 forum posts
1184 photos
2 articles

Larry

The motors are 24v and are normally used in big cordless drills, they are geared up to produce 12,000rpm on direct drive through 6mm ballraced shafts. Under load they draw just under 4amp each.

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Premier March
Shrek
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor