Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Freelance Pusher Tug

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Fitness29/01/2011 22:22:39
509 forum posts
215 photos
My 3 youngest grandsons, who live in Sydney, asked me to build them a rescue boat in case their other boat failed mid stream. I decided that a pusher tug was the answer, as I have a bigger one of that type which is used as a club rescue vessel.

The boys' boat needed to be fairly simple, with only basic detail, to avoid the risk of damage by small fingers. I also wanted to keep the mechanical side simple, too, so I opted for a single prop with a Kort nozzle, and a decent size rudder for good control. My own pusher has 2 motors and props with "tank" steering, but I thought that setup may be a bit too challenging for the younger members.

The boat was not built from a plan, but "out of my head", just making it up as I went along The hull has 12mm pine sides, bow and transom, with 1.5mm ply bottom. The bottom has fibreglass reinforcing on the inside. The deck is 3mm lite ply, while the superstructure is 1.5mm ply. The hull has self adhesive foam tape all around to protect vessels being recovered.

The Kort nozzle is from 40mm PVC pipe, and I squared off the tips of a 35mm prop on the lathe to fit inside the nozzle. I made the prop shaft assembly myself, as is my usual practice. The motor is a basic 550 type, with direct drive to the prop.

The transfers (or decals, if you prefer) are printed on to clear decal paper on my PC, and include one with my son's address and phone number, should the boat go AWOL.

It was quite a simple project after my Armidale class patrol boat, and much easier than my next model, a 1/20 scale scratch built RNLI Severn class lifeboat.

Peter.

David Meier30/01/2011 10:14:34
205 forum posts
81 photos
Peter, that looks reeeeeealy smart. Lucky grand kids.

I take it that the kort nozzle is fixed and is to direct the water more effectively onto the rudder.

Have you had it on the water yet? How manoeuvrable is it?

Cheers.

David.
Peter Fitness30/01/2011 22:07:14
509 forum posts
215 photos
David, the Kort is fixed. It has only been in the test tank (bath) so far, so is yet to have its sea trials. I will let you know how it performs after the event.

Peter.
ashley needham31/01/2011 19:24:24
7394 forum posts
159 photos
Peter, Excellent indeed and my sort of model ; simple and nice and clean, sharp paint and I hope an excess of thrust !. I don't suppose there should be any problems with maneuverability in something that flat, korted and with a big rudder.

I only build things for Berengar that I fancy myself !! Although I must say the last one was a bit taxing on the old brain.

Ashley
Peter Fitness31/01/2011 21:36:35
509 forum posts
215 photos
Thanks, Ashley. I'm hoping to give it a run later today, when all will be revealed, at least, as far as its performance goes

Peter.
Peter Fitness03/02/2011 21:56:44
509 forum posts
215 photos
The tug has had its sea trials, and under quite adverse conditions, too, as it was very windy and the waves were quite high relative to the size of the model. It came through with flying colours, even though it was taking it green over the deck, metaphorically speaking. It proved to be very manoeuvrable, as Ashley predicted so, all in all, I'm very happy with it. I didn't get any photos, but will take some at our next sailing day.

Peter.
ashley needham04/02/2011 19:41:16
7394 forum posts
159 photos
Peter. Absolutely super and I am glad to hear it was performing in the rough. I like a boat that can take it green without sinking. Makes it so much more fun, and also maximises the conditions in which you can go out boating.

I have some repair work to do this week end as in putting some sheets of board away I swiped my sub and it fell to the floor and has broken off the conning tower !! Thankfully nothing else was too damaged, and as its painted matt black all over its an easy paint job to fix.

Ashley aka Mr clumsy

Edited By ashley needham on 04/02/2011 19:43:04

Peter Fitness04/02/2011 21:51:12
509 forum posts
215 photos
I know the feeling, Ashley, I've done similar things I usually blame old age

The tug is unlikely to sink, as there is quite a high coaming around the deck opening, and the superstructure is a very neat, and firm, fit.

Peter.
David Meier05/02/2011 06:19:37
205 forum posts
81 photos
Hi Peter.

There is nothing like a bit of rough for sorting a boat out on it's maiden voyage.

It is great that it came through with flying colours without any glitches.

What more could ask for? It looks great and works well too.

Cheers.

David.
Peter Fitness13/02/2011 21:58:40
509 forum posts
215 photos
The new tug had its first club outing yesterday, in almost perfect conditions. It performed beautifully, and even had to carry out 3 rescues, including one of a 20kg, 2 metre long model of HMS Hood. The little tug pushed the much bigger ship about 30 metres sideways in to the shore after the battleship lost power, and did it quite easily.

It is very manoeuvrable, and I'm more than happy with my home made Kort nozzle set up. The fact that the rudder is fairly big, and set directly behind the Kort, means that the full effect of the prop wash bears on the rudder, making the boat very responsive.

It's now off to Sydney at the end of this week.

Peter.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor