Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vic Smeed

Loss of a Legend

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
glenn05/01/2011 20:25:08
11 forum posts
It was with great sadness i read of the passing of Vic Smeed. many modellers first builds will have been designed by him, including myself. A true gentleman & a talented designer, who will be sadly missed.
neil howard-pritchard05/01/2011 22:03:55
1520 forum posts
871 photos
yes indeed.
my first build to plan at the age of 10 years, 50 years ago this summer, was the steam tug Bustler from MAP plans........i thought it was the bees kneees.
god bless him, and his family  and may he have safe travels in the next life.
neil
Peter Fitness06/01/2011 00:22:15
508 forum posts
215 photos
Most people here probably associate the name, Vic Smeed, with model boats, but I first heard of him when I became interested in model aircraft in the early 1950s. My very first scratch built model was a Vic Smeed designed "Tomboy" free flight aircraft, which I built in 1954, and powered with an ED1.49 diesel. I used to fly it in a cow paddock, where it terrorised all the resident cattle. Fortunately, the cattle were owned by my uncle, with whom I was living at the time.

I was quite surprised, when I Googled "Vic Smeed", to find that most of the Google entries with his name concern that particular design. Many "Tomboys" are still flying at club fields all around the world. Some were enlarged and others converted to radio control. I still have that original plan, even after more than 50 years.

It wasn't until some years after building my "Tomboy" that I became aware of Vic's passion for model boat design. There must be literally thousands of examples of his designs sailing on ponds and lakes wherever model boats gather.

He was an icon in his field and will be sorely missed. 

Peter. 

Edited By Peter Fitness on 06/01/2011 00:28:38

Ian Gardner06/01/2011 09:45:40
563 forum posts
1 photos
I was thumbing through Vic Smeed's Power Model Boats just before I read about his passing here. I am actually completing one of his designs, an enlarged Silver Mist , at the moment.
I agree he did a huge amount for the hobby and I believe many would appreciate  some sort of commemoration  in Model Boats.
He may have gone but his designs will live on and, I imagine, will always inspire.

Ian.
Colin Bishop06/01/2011 12:01:58
4593 forum posts
6071 photos
400 articles
Vic was an enormous influence in both boat and aero modelling with the vast range of his designs in both fields in the post WW2 era and model makers owe him an enormous debt.

Vic was Editor of Model Maker, later Model Boats, from 1959 to 1977 after holding the position of Assistant Editor for a number of years. It is true to say than no other individual had such a major influence on Model Boating and many members will have owed their introduction to model boating to a Vic Smeed design, myself among them. Truly, he can be regarded as the Father of Model Boating in the UK, his designs still make up a large proportion of the MyHobbyStore Plans Service for both boats and planes.

I had some correspondence with Vic last year when I sent him a copy of the 60th Anniversary Commemorative Edition of Model Boats and he was generous in his praise of my modest efforts and totally on the ball despite being well into his 90s.

Prior to joining Model Maker, Vic served as a fighter pilot in WW2 and served his Country as well as his fellow modellers.

I doubt if we will see his like again and we should celebrate his achievements in the way they deserve.

Colin
mick06/01/2011 19:32:41
127 forum posts
74 photos
i have over the years  made quite a few of his plans  of different boats
he will be sadly missed every plan a classic 
Rick Fryer07/01/2011 12:11:16
36 forum posts
Nicely put, Colin, and echoing my sentiments exactly. My interest in modelmaking in general and model boats in particular dates from the mid 1950s and is almost solely down to Vic Smeed and "Model Maker". I hope we can expect a good "obit" soon in "Model Boats"?
Rick

Colin Bishop07/01/2011 12:26:40
4593 forum posts
6071 photos
400 articles
I understand that Dave Wooley will be preparing the obituary, he knew Vic when he was Editor of Model Boats and it was Vic who encouraged him to begin writing for the magazine.

Colin
The Long Build10/01/2011 13:23:37
701 forum posts
270 photos
How about also a poll on which plan was possible felt to be one of his most popular and then re-issuing at a later date in memory ?.

Larry
Colin Bishop10/01/2011 16:13:24
4593 forum posts
6071 photos
400 articles
There is scope to include a build feature from one of his plans in the 2011 Special Issue which I am currently preparing. It is unlikely to include the full size plan though as 'stitched in' plans need to be in a particular format and size.

If anyone has suggestions within the next week then I would be very pleased to consider them. It must be a plan which is still currently available from MHS though..

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor