Forum sponsored by Dremel

BLACK ROSE

SCRATCH BUILT CARD AND BALSA

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
LARRY WHETTON24/12/2010 13:00:05
819 forum posts
600 photos
HI latest build of pirate ship black rose mmi plan , build so far but stuck on sail rig, is any body else on same build . ..... cheers Larry.
Bob Abell26/12/2010 09:55:59
8577 forum posts
2648 photos
Merry Christmas, Larry

What do you want to know?......Is your model a sailer or static?

Bob
Brian Muir26/11/2016 09:37:02
249 forum posts
381 photos

As winter begins and the nights gets draw in, an old man's fancy turns to.... model building, I've got the basic plans for the Black Rose, any advice / warnings before I start? What is the best wood to use, is balsa not too fragile for a sailing version, plus I want to have at least rc steering, maybe even a small motor?

Cheers, Brian

Dave Milbourn26/11/2016 10:56:35
3923 forum posts
252 photos

Brian

Sadly Larry is no longer with us but someone else may be able to offer advice. Whether or not this particular design is suitable for sailing is not something I could help with - there are others far more experienced in models with sails than I am.
Balsa is fine for a sailing model as long as you apply a suitable exterior finish to it e.g. lightweight glassfibre cloth and resin. Here are just some ideas I cobbled together a while ago **LINK**

Dave M

Brian Muir08/12/2016 21:47:21
249 forum posts
381 photos

image.jpegI have found balsa planking difficult to bend, is soaking it OK or does it need to be steamed? The keel and frames are in place now.

image.jpeg

Brian Muir21/12/2016 22:23:05
249 forum posts
381 photos

These odd shaped plank sections are very cleverly shaped but really hard to fit together neatly.

image.jpeg

Brian Muir21/12/2016 22:33:46
249 forum posts
381 photos

I'm going to apply epoxy resin coating after sanding to give the final finish, just one more line of planking, then I'll try and fit the RC steering and the main deck

image.jpeg

Brian Muir22/12/2016 17:36:16
249 forum posts
381 photos

Last row of planking fitted, but I'll need a smaller servo for the steering. One thing I really do regret is using balsa for the keel, it is so easily bruised and is going to look battered by the time I'm finished, fortunately the model is supposed to to look weathered!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Brian Muir24/12/2016 15:48:37
249 forum posts
381 photos

Guns, anchors, bell rig and cabin skylight made whilst the epoxy resin hardens.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Brian Muir30/12/2016 16:02:04
249 forum posts
381 photos

Deck fitted and planked

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor