Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Superglue

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Wilson10/12/2010 18:55:26
1677 forum posts
181 photos

Some time ago, I purchased a bottle of Gorilla Glue that claimed it was the "strongest glue every produced."     Although I found this to be true, it's sticking powers were amazing, it was useless for my type of model (miniatures) because it frothed up whilst drying and produced unsightly blobs of hard foam.

This morning, I purchased a pack of Gorilla Superglue.    The internet write-up said that it does not foam when drying.   I found this to be true.    Whilst maintaining an incredibly strong bond, there is no foaming or expansion at all as far as I can see.   I have a feeling that Gorilla Superglue will take over from contact adhesives for my miniatures from now on.

Bob

neil howard-pritchard10/12/2010 19:41:46
1520 forum posts
871 photos
bob...........i am allergic to the vapours given off by normal superglues[ cyano acrilate]........is this a true cyano glue or just a super strong glue, and what sort of vapours does it give off,
cheers, neil.
Bob Wilson10/12/2010 20:45:04
1677 forum posts
181 photos
It is cyanoacrylate, but it doesn't appear particularly strong in odour.   I always have a powerful, but almost silent suction fan (normally used for removing soldering fumes) on my desk, so it sucks and fumes away from me.     I only use tiny spots anyway, so fumes not a problem.
Bob  

Edited By Bob Wilson on 10/12/2010 20:45:26

neil howard-pritchard10/12/2010 22:38:21
1520 forum posts
871 photos
cheers bob.........i think i'll try some........was looking at it in my local hardware store the other day.
neil.
Colin Bishop10/12/2010 23:18:25
4593 forum posts
6071 photos
400 articles
I am also allergic to the non odourless types opf superglue - a minimum of three days'sacute hayfever symptoms - not nice!

For many purposes I find that Deluxe materials Super Phatic is a good substitute. Most of the benefits of superglue and water cleanup.

Colin

Bob Wilson11/12/2010 08:03:36
1677 forum posts
181 photos
Another thing that is good about Gorilla is that it came in a two-pack.   Two tubes 3g each, so instead of losing half of it with a bunged up spout, you get a second chance.    Anyway, it does claim an anti-clog nozzle, not that that seems to count for much in other superglues, but we will see.

After it gets light, I will post a picture of my fume-sucker.    It is very effective.

Bob
Bob Wilson11/12/2010 09:28:36
1677 forum posts
181 photos
I got this mainly to remove fumes whilst soldering.   That is what it was designed for.    I find it works just as well for glue fumes.    It has a powerful fan in it and the fumes are sucked through a filter on the front.   After a few weeks, the filter becomes greyish in colour.   It should then be unclipped, washed out and put back.   It is calle d "Smoke Absorber!"
Bob

Robin Lee11/12/2010 11:55:21
129 forum posts
122 photos
Hi Bob,
I am interested in this glue.How does it perform gluing very small diameter wire - 0.1mm tinned copper wire for instance? You have guessed it I am still struggling with my rigging!
Robin
Bob Wilson11/12/2010 12:27:09
1677 forum posts
181 photos
Hi Robin,
I only got it yesterday, but it seems to be a great improvement on using Bond Loc.    When it comes out of the tube, it has the consistency and look of honey.   Absolutely no stringing at all.   It takes about 15 seconds to dry.   On the initial tests I made, it glues 0.1mm wire very well.      The only fault I could find with the original Gorlla glue was that it foamed and expanded, making it no good at all for our sort of thing.    The new Gorilla Sueprglue does not foam at all and I will certainly be putting it to use in the hope that I can stop using Bond Loc.     My main dislike about Bod Loc was the toxic fumes and admitedly, it did string a bit as well.    By using such tiny quanities of Gorilla, I am not aware of any fumes at all.

On their FAQs, if you look at The Difference Between Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Superglue, they state that it does not foam.    This is true and therefore makes it idea.    It is really the strongest glue I have ever come across!

Here is a link to their advert:

Bob

Edited By Bob Wilson on 11/12/2010 12:32:30

Robin Lee11/12/2010 12:35:14
129 forum posts
122 photos
Thanks Bob, I will give it a go. I have found Amazon 2x3grm for £4.10 post free .
Robin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor