Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Why build bigger models?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
B B09/09/2010 17:39:59
89 forum posts
137 photos
Having seen and built boats of diffferent sizes, the question arises of what size should I build a model?
Certain considerations have to be considered before even making a decission of how big to build. The first and most important aspect is that of: How am I going to transport this ship?
The second is: What size ship can I manage to move comfortably on my own?
The third is: How do I launch and retrieve my boat from the water where I am going to sail it?
The fourth is: How deep is the water at the edge and further out in the lake where I am going to sail?
The fifth: Is my car big enough to transport the model?

Being a disabled person who relies on a wheelchair to get around this complicates my problem even more. I  build large sized models because I can put on more details and when they sail they react almost like the big ships. Pitching,  rolling, being affected by the wind, departing and stopping are part of the sailing adventure the larger models.
Transporting models is a major factor when deciding to build a model. How am I going to move the model aroung my working area when I am building it? who will it fit into the car? This should be able to be done without damaging or major dismanteling the model. The second question is am I able to handle and manouver this model around on my own whilst I am building it and when it is complete will I still be able to move it on my own? Or lastly must I always have somebody to help me when I want to go sailing?
Before building a big ship find out how deep is the water alongside the edge of the lake and even more important is, How deep is the water further out in the lake. Sometimes there are inlets and this could mean changing sandbars and depth of channels. This may demand setting out of small markers to indicate channels and shallow waters so that one knows where one can sail the model safely without grounding. It may mean that if you ahve a boat with a keel or that draws a lot of water then you may also have to invest waders to launch and retrieve the model.
 I have over come most of my difficulties by doing the following: I have a light open delivery van, (bakkie) so I am able to transport very large models. Moving them in  my house and to the car and waters edge, I used and old push chair undercarriage and it's handel. I welded a small frame between the wheels and this is where I put the models onto and move them around. In the workshop I tilt the models to turn them around and place them onto the workbench and carry on working.
 All my models have their very own transport boxes where they are firmly held  in place and this eliminates damaged caused when transporting models.
I am also very fortunate enough that my fellow club mates at Centurion help me with loading and unloading my ships at the lake. ( I can't wait to get my prosthetic leg so that I can move the models on my own.)
 All in all I fancy the bigger models because they just react better inthe water and look more realistic!

neil howard-pritchard09/09/2010 18:32:04
2240 forum posts
2684 photos
you have amazed me...never realised the difficulties that some people have to overcome just in order to sail a model, never mind build one, and  can only say I admire what you go through to enjoy what many of us take for granted.
i promise that i'll try not to moan about my bad back in future when i have to put my  boat in the water.
as for building big, yes, there is the point that you can get a lot more detail on your boat, but i build big because of the lake and weather at fleetwood.....if i didn't, i'd never get to sail becuase 80% of the time it's too rough to sail small stuff.
neil.
Paul Godfrey09/09/2010 21:09:48
163 forum posts
292 photos
Hi guys,

I chose the boat I'm currently building because, at 56" long, the amount of detailling that can be added is much greater of course than a smaller boat, and I also think it will have more of a 'wow' factor than, say, a 3ft boat.

Apart from the logistics of moving the boat, it seems to me that there are three factors involved: The type of boat you like; the scale you prefer; and the size of the model. Choosing two of these would generally determine the third, for example: modern tugs at 1/32nd scale = around 3ft (ish), or: battleships at around 4ft = whatever scale that works out at.

With my boat, I knew how heavy it would eventually be (around 50lbs), but the 'wow' factor was everything. Now that it's progressing, I wondering if the size & weight will deter me from using it as much as my smaller 3ft tug!!  Also, I only have a Mitsubishi Colt, and to get the boat in means completely removing the rear seats!!

Paul.
Francis Macnaughton10/09/2010 11:13:50
123 forum posts
6 photos
My 1/32nd HMS GLOUCESTER was built that size (4.5m) to give a high enough economical speed to break the Guinness world record for distance in 24 hours.  It does need its own trailer though!

B B10/09/2010 12:27:32
89 forum posts
137 photos
A very nice model of the HMS GLOUCESTER. We had aperson at our club who also used a trailer to transport his models. The only problem is that the trailer seems to pass many vibrations from the road suface to the models. He solved this problem by putting in a thick foam matress and then put in the ships. The remaining gaps between them was then also filled out with foam rubber. This worked very well.
neil howard-pritchard10/09/2010 19:06:56
2240 forum posts
2684 photos
how many miles did you achieve, francis, and when was that.

neil.
Francis Macnaughton10/09/2010 22:26:49
123 forum posts
6 photos
Hi Neil,

121.589 miles in May 2002.  Guiness never actually published it in the annual book but I have the certificate.  I would be delighted if anyone tried to better it!

Francis
neil howard-pritchard10/09/2010 22:37:32
2240 forum posts
2684 photos
that was magnificent......think that'll stand for a long time, without feer of being beaten.
well done and amazing.
neil.
B B11/09/2010 08:08:47
89 forum posts
137 photos
Very well done.  Just goes to show what models can do! Never under estimate the model or its builder.
Bernhard
Francis Macnaughton12/09/2010 19:08:27
123 forum posts
6 photos
BB,

All I can say is that it all only worked because I had a lot of help from fellow members of the City of Plymouth MBC.  Getting the model from storage to site and then into the water etc was a major evolution each time - I can't even turn the hull over by myself  safely! 

There is also the fact that at that sort of scale the amount of detail that you could work in is virtually unending.

If I was starting afresh to break the record I would look at other options such as hulls that split in two.  

How big is the largest you can manage yourself?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Nylet
Premier March
SLEC
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor