Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

bench / table saw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mzee02/08/2010 07:04:41
100 forum posts
163 photos
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.  Can somebody suggest  what 200mm bench/table saw to get for cutting planking strips and where such a creature can be obtaned?   I am in England for a coule weeks visit so this item needsto be a) not unduly expensive, and b) of such size and weight that I can get it home without having to hire an airborne tailer for a 5000 mile flight! I have discovered an animal called 'Challenge' sold by Argos but some buyers comments suggest  that they are not so great for serious work.  Anyone had experience with them?

Robin
Bob Abell02/08/2010 08:21:33
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
Hello Robbo

I would suggest, a bandsaw would be a more useful machine........that`s all I use.

I`ve cut 8`-0" planks of 1/8" x 3/8" quite easily

Formers only take a few minutes to cut out

My saw is a Record based on the old Burgess design, but haven`t seen this make, lately

Don`t forget to take a dozen spare blades

BTW.......I recall the Coelocanth story......in the 50`s and found in South Africa?

All the best............Robbo
ashley needham02/08/2010 21:06:46
7323 forum posts
156 photos
Yup, a bandsaw is what you want, unless its for non-model use.

I have two, a cheap 12" throat 2-wheel job from "machine mart", and a much larger 1Hp job by de-walt, for cutting tree trunks up to make dug-outs.

The small ones I find dead useful for, er, small stuff  and nadgery bits (delicate work), It also takes strip sanding paper for ....sanding !!!

If I only had one, it might be something inbetween, able to take thinner blades for delicate work and thicker ones for hewing scaffolding boards into battleship decking (model).

BUT if you want air-portable, i think you may be LUMBERED (pun) with a smaller/medium sized model .

Without doubt the most useful woodworking accessory next to the cup-of-tea maker.

I might shy away from an Argos machine....Machine -mart market their own (cheap/resonably priced) models under the "Clarke" name, and I have not had a problem with them. Admittedly not the best, but good value for money, and easy spares backup. Look up their website for more info.

Ashley
Mzee03/08/2010 08:15:20
100 forum posts
163 photos
Many thanks Bob and Ashley.

I have a bandsaw - a 6mm blade job - but I find that unless I wind up the blade tension real high it does not give me a decent straight cut.  Doing this too often results in going through more blades than wood!

I also have a 10" circular saw  for heavy stuff and a very decrepit old 6" circular saw (one of those old attachment thingies you used to get which attaches to your drill).  Using these I can get my wood down to an approximate 8mm x 2 or 3mm and then by passing the strips through my Dremel set-up (sanding drum on the router table!) I end up with a monstrous pile of dust and smooth, uniform sized planks.  However, in doing all this, I end up with more wastage than planking strips.

Faced with cutting up my very last, and irreplaceable, piece of Indian teak I ned to make the very best of it and minimise wastage.  Hence the thought of a thin-blade 4" table saw.

Will keep looking and am about to see what Machine-mart have to offer.

Bob, I was actively researching the old coelacanth before I retired and still kepin touch with developments and research into this enigmatic oily fish.  Guess you could say I'm hooked!!

Many thanks again.

Robin

Loneranger05/08/2010 17:06:50
1 forum posts
Hi Robbo, I have a 12volt circular saw [Minicraft - Black & Decker] which I use to cut my decking. This will cut from 3/8" down to1/16" or even 1mm. It runs from a car ciggy lighter or the battery. Its light and about 7" cube so easy to transport. Hope this is helpful. Happy modelling.

LONERANGER

Mzee05/08/2010 18:45:22
100 forum posts
163 photos
Hey John,  That sounds like what I need - are they still available and from where?
ashley needham05/08/2010 22:33:13
7323 forum posts
156 photos
The only thing I can see on a quick surf is a Proxxon "Miniature Bench Circular Saw KS 230 E"    seems small enough but only has a very small blade,but this wont matter if its small planking you are after cutting.

i agree about the blade wander on small machines, and thats why you need a larger band saw!

I also thought about a small bench saw for similar tasks, but the large bandsaw can take thinner, wider blades and do the same thing. (does that make sense??

Ashley
Peter Fitness06/08/2010 00:16:03
509 forum posts
215 photos
I have a Proxxon KS230, and very good it is, too. As Ashley said, it only has a shallow depth of cut, about 10 or 12mm, but ideal for cutting planks.

Peter. 
Mzee06/08/2010 07:38:13
100 forum posts
163 photos
I saw the Proxxon (Hmmm! Punny this morning!!) and it looks like it is the only one of its kind this side of the great pond.  That small blade diameter might be a problem, though for cuting up thin planking only it would be OK.  Also neither too bulky nor too heavy to stash away in a suitcase.  I'm currently miles away from anywhere but when I get back to Reading I'll investigate further.  Many thanks to all you helpful folk.

Robin
Pierre06/08/2010 09:27:27
86 forum posts
65 photos
I have the Proxxon and its a small marvel - I use it all the time and its fantastic for wood up to about 7mm thick.  Ideal for planking down to about 1mm.
 Also available (with various blades) in South Africa at http://www.toolandprof.co.za.
 Best of all, very reasonably priced.
Pierre

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor