By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Another billings slo-mo-shun

my 1st kit build after 5 scratch builds cart before horse maybe but this one looks fun

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil Winks 125/03/2010 17:35:47
786 forum posts
302 photos
Having followed Bob Abell's exhaustive thread on the build of his 1/6th scale model of this boat from near enough day one I felt inspired to give this a go myself initially I intended building from scratch but while in conversation with Bob it transpired that he had this kit and no plans to use it. so he offered it to me and courtesy of Mr P Pat it arrived today. I've read a lot about this kit on various forums over the last year and had a fair idea what to expect when I opened the box. The quality seems to be much improved over the early versions mainly because it is now laser cut, as opposed to I believe printed on the sheet material. there are a couple of issues that leap out at you 1 being the brass prop-shaft and tube. not too straight and plain brass bushes on a brass shaft will prob wear out quickly, especially given that most these days will power it with a high revving brushless motor. the recommended though is either a 600/700 brushed or a .15cc ic engine. (not many going that route I'd have thought) the weight of the box suggests a light final result and I think it would be a shame to overload it with a lumpy 700 brushed motor when at half the weight a brushless equivalent will give a very sprightly performance. LiPo bty's as opposed to 8 sub C NiMh cells would reduce weight further, and I agree add cost so this option needs to be thought through.

anyway a few pics of the box contents the rest are in my photo album on here

Edited By Phil Winks 1 on 25/03/2010 17:37:43

Bob Abell25/03/2010 17:56:39
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
Hello Phil

Nice to know that the kit has gone to a good home!...........Hope you don`t mind the pencil marks here and there!

Take a look at the Modelboats mag article on this model before you jump in with both feet!

The hatch opening needs further thought.......When you get to this stage, of course

Looking forward to your build!

All the best, take your time....etc..........Bob
Bob Abell25/03/2010 18:20:46
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
Can`t find your gallery for this build

Where is it?.....................Bob
Phil Winks 125/03/2010 18:53:19
786 forum posts
302 photos
 I hadn't ticked the public box should be visible now mate. pencil marks were expected so no problem. Jumping in with both feet is not on the agenda. do you know which issue of the mag the article was in? if you look at the pic of the open box you'll see some A3 paper that I've traced all the sheet parts onto. The issue of the hatch is under consideration, probably extend it rearwards under the fin much the same as that guy on that other forum did with the join on the edge of the red stripe. it'll be needed just to fit the rudder servo.

Phil
Bob Abell25/03/2010 19:16:46
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
Here it is.........

You will notice the kit reviewer didn`t follow Billings hatch design either!

Bob
Phil Winks 125/03/2010 20:05:43
786 forum posts
302 photos
Thanks for that Bob all good useful stuff and lots to read and think about before leaping into the shed with tools at the ready. I prob won't have any shed time on this till after Easter as I've a sailing day at my local pond to organise as well as hopefully getting the little speed boat ready for its trials that weekend. So its steady as she goes on this for a while, and that's definitely the way to do it justice. I've done some research on veneer glues and it looks like the old way is still the best for curved surfaces (Cold press glues) however the names have changed a bit "titebond" veneer glue seems to be the most popular, thicker than pva to prevent bleed through and an open time of 15 min to allow accurate positioning and clamping. some custom clamps called for when I get to this point.

Phil (searching for his patient head)
Bob Abell25/03/2010 20:30:26
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
I liked the weighted string idea, with lots of little wood blocks, along the veneer.

It`s the only way to clamp the veneer along it`s entire length!

You`ll find out, Sunshine!

Bob
Phil Winks 125/03/2010 21:05:42
786 forum posts
302 photos
   I will be re-reading that section of your thread Bob, when the time comes! However one other possibility, given that this is a much smaller boat is temporarily fixing it to the bench and using a curved length of wood to sit the entire length of the strip of veneer, held down with long screws, carefully tightened to exert the necessary pressure.
   Looking at that kit review I'm struggling to see how he secured both hatches, and water proofed them, especially the servo hatch, as I'm guessing that area may well suffer a little more than the odd splash!
   I wonder how much speed he got from the 600 speed brushed motor he fitted? The running pics show it on the plane, so I guess it was quick enough. However whats the chance it got to 14.9mph? 1/12th of the record of 170+ that's the full size set in 1950! Pretty good I'd say.
   A further point from that review, is there is no mention of paint/resin being applied to the inner hull surface. leaving it, in my view, susceptible over time, to damp ingress damaging the structure and finish from within. As the construction process leaves huge areas inaccessible to do this after hull construction is complete, some thought will have to be given to the subject prior to starting.

Phil (head hurting from all this thinking )
Phil Winks 125/03/2010 21:49:57
786 forum posts
302 photos
I've spent some time looking over the photo's at this site, looking for inspiration regarding scale detail. 1 item that I've spotted that isn't included in the kit, is the step running aft from the stb sponson. It should be easy enough to include, but its purpose is another question. perhaps some one with more experience than I can shed some light! the other side has no step, see pics!

Phil

Portside

Stb side

Bob Abell26/03/2010 06:53:16
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
That`s not a step, Phil...................It`s a bracket, supporting the cylinder rod end.......For the rudder.............Only one rudder too

Just look at those rear vents!..............and in the same spot as mine!

Notice also, the lower inclined side wall........much easier to construct than the kit......it`s just a long fillet.....nice shiney metal too!

Food for thought?...................Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor