Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

spray painting for novices

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Paint Spraying for Novices

Paint Spraying for Novices

Phil Parker with a simple explanation of this skill.

Ivor Sewell25/01/2010 06:27:19
1 forum posts
Hi Phill Parker
            enjoyed you article and hope you have time to answer me.
I''ve just finished (yes another Perkasa) and am concerned on the finish.
The question, after spraying a gloss and clear varish from spray can, is it possible to respray the gloss finish with some primer coats to get a matt finish?
I''m in Thailand and where I live I am a bit restricted to accessing decent paints, hence the spray cans.
Thanks if you can reply.

Ivor Sewell.
Jeremy31/01/2010 18:45:10
181 forum posts
255 photos
Hi Phil Parker
I also found your article helpful but I do have an additional question.  I waterproofed my wooden hulled Nordkap with epoxy resin and painted it using Halford's sprays - red oxide primer overall and then Ford Fjord blue above the water line.  The red oxide is matt, the blue is gloss.  I would like the whole thing to be semi-matt.  I have a spray can of Humbrol Hobby satin acrylic varnish - would this do or can you suggest something better?  The superstructure is primed with Halford's white primer and I thought of using the Ford diamond white for the main coat but it will also need to be dulled down.  My other option is to use the Humbrol Hobby matt white acrylic spray followed by the satin acrylic varnish.  Which of these would you recommend or again is there a better solution?  Your advice would be much appreciated.
 Jeremy Beloff
Colin Bishop31/01/2010 22:54:44
4393 forum posts
6052 photos
394 articles
I'm not sure how frequently Phil visits the Forum but I have emailed him drawing attention to your queries.

Colin
Colin Bishop01/02/2010 18:34:32
4393 forum posts
6052 photos
394 articles
Phil has now seen your queries and says he will respond shortly.

Colin
Jeremy01/02/2010 18:50:21
181 forum posts
255 photos
Colin

Thanks for passing my enquiry on.  The hull concerned is shown below:

Phil Parker02/02/2010 19:47:28
6 forum posts
2 articles
Posted by Ivor Sewell on 25/01/2010 06:27:19:
Hi Phill Parker
            enjoyed you article and hope you have time to answer me.
I''ve just finished (yes another Perkasa) and am concerned on the finish.
The question, after spraying a gloss and clear varish from spray can, is it possible to respray the gloss finish with some primer coats to get a matt finish?
I''m in Thailand and where I live I am a bit restricted to accessing decent paints, hence the spray cans.
Thanks if you can reply.

Ivor Sewell.
 Ivor - If you intend overspraying one paint with another, test this in a spare piece of plastic first. Some paints are not compatible and can react badly with each other can react badly. I would be suprised if you have a problem with primer though as it usually dries so fast there isn't time for the reaction.

Incidentally, if you just want to turn a gloss painted colour matt without repainting it, try spraying the gloss varnish on a warm day with the can held further away from the model than the instructions say. That way the paint dries slightly before it hits the hull and give a slightly rough (and therefore matt) finish. Obviously a proper can of matt varnish is a better bet but it's worth a go if you are stuck. Do try it on a piece of scrap first though and not your finished model.

As for paint supplies - find out where the local car repairers get their paint from. You should find that the same suppliers can mix you and colour and any degree of shine you need into an aerosol can. It's probably going to be an industrial unit somewhere and not a nice friendly shop but if you expalin what you want they are usually very helpful.

Hope this helps. Phil
Phil Parker02/02/2010 19:58:27
6 forum posts
2 articles
Posted by Jeremy Beloff on 31/01/2010 18:45:10:
Hi Phil Parker
I also found your article helpful but I do have an additional question.  I waterproofed my wooden hulled Nordkap with epoxy resin and painted it using Halford's sprays - red oxide primer overall and then Ford Fjord blue above the water line.  The red oxide is matt, the blue is gloss.  I would like the whole thing to be semi-matt.  I have a spray can of Humbrol Hobby satin acrylic varnish - would this do or can you suggest something better?  The superstructure is primed with Halford's white primer and I thought of using the Ford diamond white for the main coat but it will also need to be dulled down.  My other option is to use the Humbrol Hobby matt white acrylic spray followed by the satin acrylic varnish.  Which of these would you recommend or again is there a better solution?  Your advice would be much appreciated.
 Jeremy Beloff

Jeremy - I don't think there would be a problem but would recomend testing on some spare plastic with the same paints as used on the hull and then the Humbrol varnish. Let them dry thoroughly first to get accurate results.

Aside from this, the Humbrol spray can is ideal for your purposes. From the photo, your boat is quite large and will need a lot of paint - much easier to apply from an aerosol than an airbrush. Work in as warm and dust-free an enviroment as you can. Ensure the spray can is warm by sitting it in some luke warm (not boiling) water and give it a very good shake. That should ensure the paint is well mixed and flows properly. Get a spare can too as you don't want to run out half way through a boat !

I'd also tend to work with a hairdryer handy and apply lots of thin coats, drying each one as you go. It takes a reasonable amount to varnish to get a consistant semi-matt finish.

For the superstructure I'd go for the Humbrol white - it will give you a thinner coat which can then be varnished in the same way. Car paints are thicker than model paints as your average motor doesn't have the same problem with small detail !

Personally I wouldn't spray the oxide - it should be matt and the contrast with the semi-matt hull colour looks really nice and empasises the effect. It's your boat however so at the end of the day, do what you want and if anyone moans, tell them to go away !

Hope this helps.
Jeremy02/02/2010 23:11:16
181 forum posts
255 photos
Phil - thanks for the advice - it certainly helps.  In your article, you pointed out that "primer isn't waterproof so you may need to consider a top coat of varnish".  As my hull is waterproofed under the primer with two coats of epoxy resin, should I take it from the above that I don't need to varnish the primer?  If not, I am quite happy to leave it matt as you recommend.
Jeremy
Phil Parker03/02/2010 19:27:13
6 forum posts
2 articles
Jeremy - If the hull is waterproof then you should be OK. My note was for those who hoped the paint would protect the hull. On my boat, Pigeon Pie the red oxide is primer over a fibreglass hull and it hasn't fallen off yet !

Phil
Mark Beard10/10/2010 17:07:22
163 forum posts
84 photos
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your excellent article.  I've airbrushed acrylic paints onto plastic kits and am very pleased with the results.  Being water based, acrylics are very easy to use, thin and handle.  I understand that once dry, these are fully waterproof.  Are they suitable for RC models?  How do they compare with enamels for toughness?

Mark

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor