Forum sponsored by Dremel

Enamel Paints

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Godfrey22/11/2009 21:49:20
163 forum posts
292 photos
Hi all,

My current build, Sir Lancelot, will be painted entirely with Humbrol enamels (not those horrible acrylics I used on the Dutch Courage!). In the not too distant future I will be painting the hull, bulwarks and deck, so I thought it would be a good time to ask a few questions on the subject.

1) I take it that Humbrol no longer sells the spray cans of paint, as I can't locate them anywhere. So, I will be looking to purchase an airbrush & compressor. What type should I be looking for? I will need it to be able to spray the (56 inch) hull, and smaller areas also. Please note - value for money is very important!

2) I will be using matt paints - is undercoating necessary on the hull, the white metal components, or anything else?

3) Can anyone recommend a particular brand of varnish that they have used with Humbrol enamels (I'm undecided on whether to use matt or satin varnish), and if it comes in spray cans, or the airbrush will be needed for this as well.

Many thanks, Paul.
neil howard-pritchard22/11/2009 22:22:57
2260 forum posts
2759 photos
you can actually take your humbrol paints and thinners, 50/50 mix along to a Halfords store [ certain ones] and they will pressurize them into spray cans for you. i know blackpool one will as tyhey have done it for me......they charge about the same as a spray can but you supply the material....about 200 mills paint/thinner mix per can.
Paul Godfrey23/11/2009 19:25:33
163 forum posts
292 photos
Thanks Neil, didn't know they did that.

I hope that any potential purchaser of your Sir Lancelot isn't put off by my build log !!

Regards, Paul.
neil howard-pritchard23/11/2009 19:55:49
2260 forum posts
2759 photos
far from it.........i would be pleased to build as concise as yours.....usually just crash on and hope for the best.but yours is a lovely site to behold.
neil.
ashley needham24/11/2009 12:57:19
7645 forum posts
159 photos
I bought a cheap basic airbrush from Machine Mart and power it off my 6CFM compressor and this works well enough. The compressor is that big as its what I use for spraying my bikes etc. A small "hobby" compressor would be ok.  Using bottled compressed air would be expensive.

I have used ordinary Blackfriars or whatever polyurethane varnish over humbrol o.k. 

I am not keen on matt varnish, I never seem to get a good "matte" finish?, and I think it tends to show dried water marks etc. thats a personal taste choice I think.

Ashley

ashley needham24/11/2009 12:58:50
7645 forum posts
159 photos
Come to think of it i use my "touching up" spray gun to do larger models, hull surfaces and the like.   A
Paul Godfrey24/11/2009 19:03:35
163 forum posts
292 photos
Thanks for your kind words Neil, and for your advice Ashley - much appreciated.

Paul
Dave Milbourn25/11/2009 07:10:21
4025 forum posts
282 photos
Paul
The Badger 250-4 is a decent budget airbrush for covering large areas:
I got mine from Squires. It has larger jars than standard so you can probably cover the whole of a big hull with one fill. Don't forget to thin the paint well, and clean the airbrush and jar immediately you finish spraying.
For smaller details you'll need a single- or double- action one (more expensive). As Ashley says, a compressor is a wise buy. Mine came from Machine Mart under the name "Bronco" - but it's a few years old now!
Dave M
Paul Godfrey25/11/2009 15:20:49
163 forum posts
292 photos
Many thanks Dave.

Strangely enough, I have a 2 year old, but unused and still in its box, Badger 250-4 !!! Although as you say it has a larger than normal Jar, I didn't realise it was man enough  to use for a large hull.

Just need to treat myself to a compressor. However, in the airbrush instructions it states that, with the appropriate adaptor, you can use a car tyre pumped up to 40psi.  I wonder how long this would last before the tyre needed pumping up again??

Paul.
Colin Bishop25/11/2009 16:53:03
5194 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles
Not as long as you'd like it to I fear Paul!

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor