Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Balsa wood supplier

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Bailey22/11/2009 21:16:44
113 forum posts
3 photos
Does anybody know where i can get a larger amounts of balsa approx 3" wide x approx 2mm , the local model shop does stock it but only in small amounts and ive got a 5 ft boat to do with it as i plan to f/g over it , thanks for your time 

Regards Andy
Paul Godfrey22/11/2009 21:58:32
163 forum posts
292 photos
Hi Andy,

SLEC is a supplier of various hard & soft woods (along with other items for modellers), who I used alot in my model aircraft days.

Just Google 'SLEC' for their website, they sell at model shows, and also by mail order.

Regards, Paul.
neil howard-pritchard22/11/2009 22:27:24
2260 forum posts
2759 photos
you'd be better off buying some obeche, andy and cutting it into planks.......far nicer to work with and better finish.
another option is to car boot slog and by some old wooden slatted venetian blinds...........make great planks for planking a boat.
pick em up a quid a time for a whole blind.
Andy Bailey22/11/2009 22:55:08
113 forum posts
3 photos
Thinking about it Neil you are quite right obechi would give a better finish with much less work  , good idea about the blinds tho i will store that one in the memory banks, , 

Paul 
Thanks for your reply i will have a look on there but i think Neils idea will work best for what i have planned 

Regards Andy
Paul Freshney23/11/2009 12:32:37
295 forum posts
15 photos
For general interest, The Balsa Cabin in Maldon, Essex website: http://www.zyworld.com/balsacabin/  also have an excellent reputation for supplying  modellers' needs for wood, including ply, spruce etc., by mail order at reasonable prices.

Paul Freshney
Editor of MB 
Andy Bailey23/11/2009 13:44:47
113 forum posts
3 photos
Nice one Paul , i just had a look at there site and they are a lot cheaper than my local shops and whatever i buy to do this hull im going to need plenty of it 

Regards Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor