Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Advice needed

Which Kit First?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
steven wheeler05/11/2009 19:56:42
2 forum posts
Now have some time to start building the large number of kits that I have gathered and now looking for some advice on which would be the best kit to start again with. Have built before Robbe Seawolf and Neptun. Also Midwest Boothbay lobster boat. Have half built Model Slipway Trent ( railings are proving somewhat frustrating. Kit list is as follows
Robbe: U-47, Schnellboot 130, Westeriff, Dusseldorf Fireboat
Billings: HMS Renown, Samson 2
Krick: Victoria Steam Launch
Aerokits - RAF Launch
Mountfleet: Admiralty Coaster C-62
Talhoer: Atunero Del Cantabrio
Saitio: Polar Star Whale Catcher
The latter two are especially for when I have refound my skills in my opinon, but open to any advice

Many thanks
Barry Foote08/11/2009 10:34:00
161 forum posts
93 photos
Blimey guys, this thread has been on for three days now and all you so called experts can't offer a new member a bit of advise......shame on you!!! No wonder I only look in occasionally to this "Gentleman's Club"

Steven,
Personally I would start with the Billings Renown. It will test your skills and put you on the right track for the rest of them. Best of luck and happy building.
neil howard-pritchard08/11/2009 20:12:40
1963 forum posts
1815 photos
as barry says, not a great deal of help been offered to steven...............is this forum suffering from a cardiac malfarction, or is it just the members needing a little CPR to jolt us all into action.
mind you, with such a self gleaned collection of model kits, steven.....you must have believed when you bought/aquired them all, that you were capable of building each and everyone of them, and as such, your question has no real answer from such a bunch of argumentative old gits as us.
give any forum a choice such as you have, then there will be at least  12 different answers, and then you'll make your own choice at the end of the day anyway. sort of self defeating question really.
just my choice but i'd choose the mountfleet admiralty coaster anytime, as i haven't a clue as to what the others are like.
Peter Fitness08/11/2009 22:32:39
509 forum posts
215 photos
I can't help, as I'm not familiar with any of the kits mentioned.

Peter.
Ian Gardner09/11/2009 09:38:28
566 forum posts
1 photos
Hi Steven,
I notice you have one half finished model. For what it's worth, and I speak from bitter experience- it's quite easy to give up on a model when you get to a difficult bit and somehow think that starting another is going to bring a rosy glow of satisfaction!  As I say, I speak as one who has a couple half finished models kicking about. I now think that it may be better to press on and complete the model even if it isn't up to a standard that one would wish, and then strive for better things on the next one. Quite often, if you let the spirit grow, so to speak, difficult patches can seem less of a problem.
I also find that what one perceives as a rough patch in a model somehow blends in when the model is finished. In the end it's better to have a model on the water that you aren't completely happy with than  incomplete projects cluttering up the workshop.
I reiterate that this is a council of perfection and am still trying to learn the lesson myself!
The main thing is to have fun with it.
Best wishes,
Ian.
neil howard-pritchard09/11/2009 10:04:33
1963 forum posts
1815 photos

The main thing is to have fun with it.

absolutely Ian.

I find it hard to even think about starting a second model until I have finished the first.......like any man I can't multi task and have to concentrate on one only.

But as you advise..press on Steven and get one finished and on the water......you'll find that those "insurmaountable" problems that you had with the first build won't feel so "everest" like for the second and subsequent builds.
neil.

ps, howabout some imput from yourself on what you think.
Peter Fitness09/11/2009 22:47:22
509 forum posts
215 photos
I have to say I feel the same as Ian and Neil. I won't start a new project until I've finished the current one. If things get tough, I sometimes leave it for a day or so, then go back and have another go, often the break gives you a new insight into the problem.

It works for me - usually.

Peter.
steven wheeler17/11/2009 19:43:38
2 forum posts
Thanks for the replies and apologies for being late with a reply, but I have been away without internet access. Took the time whilst I was away to read all the various manuals etc and have started on the Billings Sanson, as it is a combination of plastic hull and wooden superstructure. So far so good.

Will let you know how I get on with it, and yes one day I will finish the Trent as well

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor