By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

propshaft bearings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
George Malcolm Griffett20/08/2009 23:08:10
12 forum posts
Continuing the rebuild of my vintage model I have now discovered that the propshaft bearings are to worn to be used. The coupling end has a small roller bearing and the prop end is bronze or similar, the problem is how to replace them or remove the tube altogether which is 20" long with a 3/16" shaft. In such an old model well made in wood with such a long tube well glued and fitted, it may cause to much damage to attempt removal. Any ideas?
ashley needham21/08/2009 07:04:46
7593 forum posts
167 photos
Geoff, Difficult. Heat may loosen the bearings in the tube sufficiently to pull them out, could try a self-tapper screw in the bearings and pliers? or drill the bearings out, or grind them out using a dremmel or similar? if the tube was cut off either end could a smaller tube be inserted in the shell of the existing?   Ashley
Bob Abell21/08/2009 09:20:21
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
I would try using a 3/16" rod and longer than the prop tube........turned down at one end to about 1/16"......so that you have a good shoulder.

Slide the shaft up the tube and catch the bearing with the shoulder....and tap it out!

Bob....................Eng (retired)
George Malcolm Griffett21/08/2009 13:47:15
12 forum posts

My thanks to both Ashley and Bob for your suggestions and success!  I removed both bearings with Bobs idea, which if anyone else has a similar problem works very well. I used the old prop shaft and turned down the end on my lathe which was then just long enough to work. All I have to do now is find where I can get replacement bearings?
Cheers Malcolm.

Ian Gardner21/08/2009 14:13:44
566 forum posts
1 photos
Hi,
If you have a lathe why not turn them on that? You could get a length of phosphor bronze from a supplier.
I found that using a D bit makes a nice close fit rather than drilling the whole diameter. Making a D bit is described in 'Using the Small Lathe' by LC Mason which was an MAP publication. You require a piece of silver steel  the same diameter as the shaft . While your'e at it you could make a new shaft as well.
Just a few suggestions. Have fun.
Ian Gardner
Phil Abbott21/08/2009 16:12:36
22 forum posts
4 photos
Rather than a "D" bit I would ream the hole, nice fit then, as Ian has said turning up a couple of bearings would be the way to go, at least you know they will fit the tube.
Phil
Bob Abell21/08/2009 18:55:03
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Hello George

If you are goung to remake the prop shafts..............I recomend you change to 5mm...............Imperial sizes are very expensive these days

Just a thought....................Bob
George Malcolm Griffett21/08/2009 20:38:05
12 forum posts

Thanks to you all for your help and advise, I  shall have a go at machining one myself for the prop end in bronze but the coupling end has to be a roller bearing because of the end fitting on the shaft.
Bob you may have a point as I tried to find a supplier this afternoon for this roller bearing, having quoted the number,  it appears to be a now very rare size but did find one in germany for £14-50 plus postage & tax, so your suggestion to alter to metric and go to 5mm may be the best option.
I also like the idea of having a go at making the new shaft myself and will give it a try.
When I have put these ideas into practise I will post and give results

Malcolm.
Bob Abell21/08/2009 21:03:45
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Hello George

Still don`t think you need a roller bearing at all.........Make a brass one the same size as the roller and simply fit that!

Bob
George Malcolm Griffett21/08/2009 22:31:00
12 forum posts
I must admit you got a good  point there Bob   Hmmmmmm................

see if I can find a piece of bronze big enough!

Malcolm.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor