Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Serious dilemma!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell10/08/2009 08:12:02
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Developers have applied for planning permission to develop our boating area!

The Club house will be swept away and what is more serious...... is that they want to install hydro electricity generating plants....using the lakes as the source of energy.

History seems to be repeating itself here!..............The lakes were created, in the first place, to drive the cotton mill`s waterwheel!..............The Developers are relying on this fact..............to swing the case!

The serious dilemma is.........why should a model boat club oppose such an ambitious plan, to generate electricity...............green energy at that too!

We`ve got until this Thursday to get our objections in!

Bob
Paul T10/08/2009 08:21:05
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Hi Bob

As an ex developer I understand the planning process and the “tricks” that developers use to swing an application.

What is the exact nature of the application? 

Paul

Paul T10/08/2009 08:34:40
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

The first thing to do is buy some time by putting in an objection on the grounds of loosing a long standing public amenity that is enjoyed by many, then start a petition and get as many people to register their objection.

Get the local press involved with a story about the happy and peaceful retirement of poor senior citizens being brushed aside by a heartless developer.

Finally look into the hydro plans and find out just how much power will be generated and who will actually benefit from this plan both with the power and the cash from selling the power.

Bob Abell10/08/2009 08:42:19
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Hello Paul

Don`t know the full extent of the development, we are supposed to visit the Town Hall somewhere. It was proposed about 2 years ago and shelved.................now it`s come back to haunt us!

The mill complex will be demolished and offices and flats are proposed........along with the hydro scheme, our club is affected by increase in water level, swamping the steel landing stage and a water flow problem, which I think we`ll get round.....................So I see no reason to object?

Bob
Barry Foote10/08/2009 08:48:11
161 forum posts
93 photos
If the Powers that be want to carry out this development then they will do so. An objection from a model boating club, simply will not "hold water", if you will excuse the pun!!!
Bob Abell10/08/2009 08:49:19
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
There are many people involved..................100`s of fishermen..........dozens of full size sailing yachts and crew.....................hundreds of dog walkers........us lot, of course................wild life enthusiasts......................hundreds of walkers..........the photographers and local historians........a popular place for the handicapped fraternity to visit and turn up by the bus load!.................the cafeteria and staff..........and a meeting place for the hooligans!

The Developers don`t stand a chance!

Bob
Paul T10/08/2009 09:06:00
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Bob 

When wishing to build flats and offices in a sensitive area a developer will propose a “sweetener” such as a children’s play area, village hall, public park etc or in this case a very green hydro power plant.

However after the flats and offices have been completed the developer has run out of money and so the sweetener never gets built.

It’s an old trick that I have used a few times and it never fails……especially when the sweetener was never in the budget.

Bob Abell10/08/2009 09:18:51
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
That sounds like a cunning plan, my Lord?
Paul T10/08/2009 09:54:08
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
The downside of being a smart ar*e is that I know that the developer won't give up and even if the local planners reject the plan the developer will go to the government inspector / home office.

You will need a huge lobby to fight them.

There selling point will be a sustainable, self powered development...which is rubbish as the power is sold direct to the grid and the carbon cost of the total development will far outway any green gain by the hydro plant.

If I were still in the game I would use a "green" fop to sweeten the planners.

Paul
The Long Build10/08/2009 11:09:43
750 forum posts
281 photos
Posted by The Fat Controller on 10/08/2009 09:06:00:
Bob 

However after the flats and offices have been completed the developer has run out of money and so the sweetener never gets built.

It’s an old trick that I have used a few times and it never fails……especially when the sweetener was never in the budget.

#######################
Once bitte trwice shy, a developer did that once in the area , next time they were made to pay a very large sum to cover the cost of the sweetner before hand. (in this case road improvement)

So in any objection insist that this is done.

Edited By The Long Build on 10/08/2009 11:10:06

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor