Bob Wilson03/08/2009 07:47:08
1900 forum posts
277 photos
Loch Torridon 1881 - 1915
Bob

ashley needham03/08/2009 08:10:18
7637 forum posts
159 photos
Bob, my ghast is well and truly flabbered at all that rigging. Fantastic job.I have to steel myself before installing a whip ariel, me    ashley
Barry Foote03/08/2009 08:21:31
161 forum posts
93 photos
Superb as usual Bob...
Bob Wilson03/08/2009 13:40:38
1900 forum posts
277 photos
Thanks,
This what I call rigging though!
Bob

Bob Abell03/08/2009 15:22:20
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Both very nice models, Bob...................Especially the Pruessian ship..........(I know it`s miss-spelt)

The sails are beautifully uniform.......thanks to CAD no doubt!

Bob
Bob Wilson03/08/2009 17:02:13
1900 forum posts
277 photos
Hi Bob,
Thanks,
The sails on PREUSSEN were made from white airmail paper moulded around an ostrich egg whilst wet to get the wind-filled shape.   The grey sail seams were pre-printed on both side of the paper with the computer printer before I moulded them    The sails were edged in fine copper wire.
I have heard modellers talk about CAD, but it sounds far too complicated for me.    I could probably master it, but I have little patience for that sort of thing and am not really sure what it does anyway!     

It is all fingerwork apart from cutting the big pieces with a hobby bandsaw,  making the round parts on a small lathe and using a hand-held 12 Volt drill from time to time.    Scalpel and  tweezers were my main tools.

Bob
Bob Abell03/08/2009 17:13:31
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Hello Bob

Cad stands for "Computer Aided Design" and is very useful.

I inherited the program from my working days.........It`s very easy once you know how!

For instance, you could have drawn all your sails on the pc.......with all the lines and fillets and eyes etc and any fancy pattern etc and printed them out...in any colour too!................all the correct size and identical

I used this system for the cabins on my Great Eastern...................I needed 24 identical skylights...................hence the CAD approach

Anyway.....................What will you create next?..................A little Louis Heloise might be suitable?

Bob
Bob Wilson03/08/2009 19:06:48
1900 forum posts
277 photos
All the sails on the PREUSSEN were different and individual.    A lower topsail on the foremast was different to corresponding sail on main, middle, mizzen or jigger .       Neither were they correctly shaped according to the sail plan.    I had problems for years with setting sails correctly.   It was only when I finally realised that a wind-filled sail is pulled completely out of shape by the wind that I was able to set them correctly.     I really can't see any way of improving on the old ostrich egg with its multiple curves.
Apart from that, everyone I know who messes about with CAD tells me it is very complicated and time-consuming and, more importantly, none of them have actually produced anything from CAD that I can appreciate.    And it is horribly expensive as well!

I know all this may sound a bit negative and make me look like a dinasour, but after a lifetime career in electronics, I came to detest progress with transistors, ICs, and high technology, satellites, firbre optics, micro-electronics  in general.      I only mastered computers because it is now  a case of "ignore them at your peril!"    In late 1992, I chucked in my job as senior communications officer  (technical as well as operating)aboard the British passenger liner RMS ST. HELENA  (completed 1990).    Just couldn't stand it any more.     I have now reverted to "dinasour" status with knife and tweezers.    I never even build models of ships that were completed after about 1965!

At present, I am building Royal Mail Lines DESEADO of 1961 and that is rather a bit too modern for my liking!

Never even heard of Louis Heloise!

At the same time, I haven't the slightest interest in ship built before about 1840 (the age of the camera)

Bob

Bob Abell03/08/2009 19:16:23
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

This is Loius Heloise, built about 1900.....(guessing)
Bob Wilson03/08/2009 21:19:37
1900 forum posts
277 photos
Hi Bob,

Nice looking vessel, but a bit too small for me.    I don't mean the physical size of the model, I mean the actual ship.   I really prefer the big iron & steel square-riggers when it comes to sail, but I suppose I build more steamers and motorships than anything else.

Can't really see how CAD would help me in any way.   All I have ever seen it do is produce plans, but I have the plans of what I build anyway!

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor