1/50 scale model of HMAS Bundaberg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Wooley24/07/2010 14:40:39
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles
Posted by Peter Fitness on 24/07/2010 00:02:30:
Thanks, Dave, I appreciate your very kind comments.

Thursday night's episode of "Sea Patrol" had some footage of one of the class in quite rough seas off the north Queensland coast, which was extremely impressive. The boat handled the conditions superbly. I hope mine does too 

Peter 
Hi Peter I am sure it will
Dave Wooley

David Wooley24/07/2010 14:48:23
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

Peter they really do fly
Dave Wooley
Peter Fitness29/07/2010 23:34:50
508 forum posts
215 photos
I've managed to build reasonable (I think) representations of the RIB davits, and am working on the RIBs themselves. Once these are finished, the end is nigh (as they say), with just a few details, such as navigation lights and life rings to be added.

Unfortunately, the last episode in the current series of "Sea Patrol" went to air here in Australia last night, but it will return in 2011, according to producers, Hal and Di McElroy.

Peter. 

David Wooley30/07/2010 16:24:27
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles
Hi Peter nice job on  the davits. What material are you using   to make the RIB?
Dave Wooley
Peter Fitness30/07/2010 23:40:40
508 forum posts
215 photos
Hi Dave,
I used Evergreen styrene tube, bent using boiling water, for the hull sides, and styrene sheet for the rest, except for the tapered ends, which are from pine dowel turned down on my lathe. 

Peter.

David Wooley31/07/2010 23:07:22
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles
Hi Peter  I   very much like the results on  the RIBs  and the methods used  to build them . Good lateral thinking
Dave Wooley
Peter Fitness01/08/2010 23:28:21
508 forum posts
215 photos
Thanks, Dave. As I said earlier, the davits are representations only, as are the RIBs, and not exact scale replicas. I am not building the boat with a view to entering it in scale competitions, so I am attempting to capture the character of the vessel, with as much detail as practical, given my aging eyes and hands 

She has had her first flotation test, in the bath, and she sat beautifully on the waterline with two 6v 4.2 Ah SLA batteries on board. I will give her a test run later this week, and her club debut will be next Sunday.

Peter. 
Bob Abell02/08/2010 08:35:46
8277 forum posts
2530 photos
Hello there, Peter

I like your model very much, very neat and tidy.......congrats

I also like the full size picture, flying through the waves.........That`s  how I imagined my Slo Mo to behave!........Sadly, it didn`t!

Bob
Peter Fitness02/08/2010 23:25:30
508 forum posts
215 photos
Hello Bob,

Thank you for your comments.

The photo of HMAS Larrakia is certainly spectacular. Apparently the Armidales are very seaworthy boats, well able to handle rough conditions. I will let you know how mine goes, although I doubt that I will be able to reproduce that kind of a shot in model form 

Peter. 

Steve Batcheldor04/08/2010 10:54:50
3 forum posts
Hi Peter

Love the job that you are doing on your Armidale. A great subject and an informative build log.

I have just come across this thread and have read through it from the beginning. I was pleasantly suprised to see a couple of photos of my 1:72nd scale model Armidale with the USS Longbeach.

I seem to have developed a bit of a thing for these boats recently. I have one completed model and I have recently started another three in various scales.

My model has been running sucessfully for the last couple of years but I agree with many of the comments throughout this thread stating that a 1:72nd model is a bit small. Mine is Ok in calm water but bobs around like a cork as the water starts to chop up.

I am interested to see how your model performs when completed as one of the models I have started is also at 1: 50th scale.

Keep up the great work and looking forward to further progress reports.

Steve B.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
PremierJuly 2019
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Meridienne Dec 6th
Premier March
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor