Forum sponsored by Dremel

Armidale Class Patrol Boat

1/50 scale model of HMAS Bundaberg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Fitness17/06/2010 23:49:12
508 forum posts
215 photos
Thanks, David. If she handles a chop like HMAS Larrakia is doing in this photo, I'll be very happy. Larrakia is the second in the class, after Armidale.

Peter. 

David Wooley18/06/2010 15:21:43
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles
Hi Peter   Looking at the shape of the hull   this reminds me of the   Irish OPVs  Roisin and Niamh  . Alan  Pew  does a nice hull of these in 1:72 .
Dave Wooley
Peter Fitness18/06/2010 23:44:41
508 forum posts
215 photos
Hi Dave, I did know about Alan's 1/72 hull which he built as a commission for the RAN as a display model. I contacted him about frames, but he was not willing to pass these on as he has future plans to produce a 1/50 scale model, which is fair enough. He had to plot the frames himself, as did I, because the manufacturer, Austal, would not give this information.

He also commented that he felt the bigger model would be much better as a radio controlled boat, because of the relatively shallow draft.

Peter. 
Bob Abell19/06/2010 10:32:04
8277 forum posts
2530 photos
It looks a real....Goer!...............The nose looks fast and sharp!

Nice model, well done Peter"

Bob
David Young 319/06/2010 12:22:48
58 forum posts
There's you saying that you're not a pro,with a job like that Peter,you could have fooled me.

Beautifully crisp clean lines,a wonderful job so far.

David.

David Wooley19/06/2010 14:18:43
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles
Hi Peter  How do the Armidales compare to the old Fremantles . The information I have says   they are home ported at Dampier?  Look forward to  more of your photos , really interesting  project. Thanks for posting
dave Wooley  
Peter Fitness19/06/2010 23:30:16
508 forum posts
215 photos
Thank you for the kind remarks Bob and David Y.

Dave W, the Fremantles were a smaller boat at 42 metres compared to the Armidales at 56.8 metres. The Armidales had a longer range of 3000nm compared to 2360, but the Freos were faster at 30 kts compared to 25kts.

According to the Navy web site, 4 boats are based at Cairns, and the remainder at Darwin with 2 of the Darwin boats on detachment to Dampier.

Peter. 

Peter Fitness10/07/2010 23:29:20
508 forum posts
215 photos
Some more progress has been made, with more detail added including the circular antenna and its mast, 2 of the radomes are on and some of the hand railings have been fitted. I'm waiting for some brass rod to arrive from the USA before I can complete the railings. The 2 RIBs and their davits are next on the list. I've also fitted the 2 big whip style aerials on the forward superstructure.

Peter.

David Meier10/07/2010 23:46:40
205 forum posts
81 photos
It is looking great Peter. I cant wait to see a photo of it on the water at full speed. What are you powering it with? Have you gone brushless?

David.
nevins10/07/2010 23:52:43
30 forum posts
This model is exactly the type of ship style I am in love with.  Could you point me in the direction of a set of plans for this and if they are 1/72 thats even better.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Meridienne Dec 5th
PremierJuly 2019
Pendle Boilers
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Meridienne Dec 6th
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor