Forum sponsored by Dremel

Armidale Class Patrol Boat

1/50 scale model of HMAS Bundaberg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Fitness11/03/2010 23:21:17
508 forum posts
215 photos
After a long break away from my shed, due to firstly, family, and secondly hot weather, I have restarted the Armidale class build. The deck is on, engine air intakes are built, and all the forward bulwark supports are in place.

I am now in the process of making some of the deck fittings, such as the anchor windlass and its associated equipment including chain rollers, as well as the anchor. It's slow work and a number of hours seem to show very little result, but it's very satisfying producing some of the fitting on my lathe. 

Some photos of the deck etc below.

Peter.

Peter Fitness23/05/2010 05:46:04
508 forum posts
215 photos
Some progress has been made in the last week or so, despite numerous interruptions. The hull has been primed and painted with the correct grey, or as near as I can get it. The hull bottom will be painted plain black with no boot topping, as is the prototype.

The Typhoon gun has been made, a little model in its own right, and the styrene superstructure is under way. I'm starting to feel as if I'm getting somewhere now, perhaps it's the fact that the hull is painted, making it look like a naval vessel.There's still a lot to do, though, and it will be some time before it gets wet. 

Peter. 

Laszlo Winkler23/05/2010 23:16:32
2 forum posts
Hi Peter,

Your boat looks wery good.
We were talking about you just today cause we put the Armidale ribbs to the boatyard. We building a core for fiberglas-resin gauge. After this we would like to make 3 hull.
I will send pictures as soon as I can.

Laszlo
Peter Fitness31/05/2010 23:33:51
508 forum posts
215 photos
Work continues, with the main body of the superstructure well under way. I'm finding styrene very easy to work with, it's quick, clean and has a smooth finish which should represent the aluminium construction of the full size boat very well.

There's lots of detail to add yet, but I'm happy with the way it's looking so far.

Peter.

David Wooley01/06/2010 22:03:51
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles
Hi Peter your Armidale  is looking really smart  .
Dave Wooley
Peter Fitness01/06/2010 23:35:38
508 forum posts
215 photos
Hi Dave, thanks for the kind comment.

I have been following with great interest your Kiev build in Model Boats magazine, what a brilliant piece of work. I have gained some very helpful hints from your articles and, while I could never aspire to the standard you have set, it does give me something to aim for.

My biggest regret is that I came into boat modelling late in life, only 6 years ago, having been an aeromodeller to that point. I have found that each boat I build is more challenging than the previous one, which helps me improve my skills, and makes me want to attempt something more difficult.

I still have a great deal to learn.

Peter. 

David Wooley02/06/2010 13:29:38
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles
Hi Peter   It's not the length of time  that a modeller has been in a hobby  only that they enjoy   the experience  and from what I have seen  you are not only rising to the  challenge ,   improving your skill base but  you certainly appear  to be  getting  the enjoyment out of the  task you have set yourself. You really can't ask better than that. 
Dave Wooley
Peter Fitness04/06/2010 00:55:52
508 forum posts
215 photos
Hi Dave,

I'm certainly getting plenty of enjoyment out of the hobby, and that's what it should be about.

Peter. 
Peter Fitness17/06/2010 00:35:23
508 forum posts
215 photos
The hull has now been fully painted, and the pennant numbers (BECC) are on. The superstructure has also had its first coat of paint, the mast assembly likewise, although more fittings have yet to be placed on the mast. I still have to make the radomes, the unusual dish shaped aerial and its associated mast, the 2 RIBs and their davits, and the deck has to be painted its final colour. There is also a lot of other detail to be added, but I'm happy with how it looks at present.

Peter.

David Meier17/06/2010 07:55:09
205 forum posts
81 photos
It is a really nice looking ship Peter. I like the lines of the hull. It will fairly slice through the water and handle quite a chop I would think.

David.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Meridienne Dec 5th
PremierJuly 2019
Pendle Boilers
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Meridienne Dec 6th
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor