By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

large cooling coil.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
George Malcolm Griffett30/06/2009 23:07:14
12 forum posts
I have a very large vintage model into which I would like to install a large automotive quality electric motor  I have, which at  24volts quotes 5000 to 20000 RPM .
I would prefer to have a cooling coil around the motor ( the scoops and outlets are already fitted to the model) but the diameter of the motor is 74mm, does anyone know where a coil could be found or the soft tubing to make one of this size?
Many Thanks Malcolm.
Paul T01/07/2009 07:01:07
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Hello Malcolm

You could use silicone tube which is available at most model shops or you could use 8mm copper pipe, which is soft copper and easily bent using a bending spring.

Paul
Bob Abell01/07/2009 08:21:32
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Can I say something silly please?

I`ve noticed that electric motors still run as normal when totally submerged!!!!!

So why not mount them underwater???

Crackpot idea................but is it?

Bob unhinged today!
Dave Jones 301/07/2009 23:05:43
18 forum posts
I personally would not bother with silicone tubign as it will not do a thing.
Right then what you really need is quite simple go out and buy someCOPPER NOT Kunnifer brake pipe and simply wrap around the motor you DO NOT need any bending spring or even filling it with sand it will bend no probs at all

dave
Paul T02/07/2009 07:07:55
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Dave Jones 3

I find your comments regarding this particular topic a little incongruous as silicone tubing is an excellent medium for creating a quick and very efficient cooling coil.

You can not bend soft copper around a 75mm motor without a spring or packing with sand because even recently annealed copper will kink and crease at such a tight radius.

Paul
Bob Abell02/07/2009 08:33:02
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Hold on there...Fat Boy!

Being a clever sod, myself................I think soft copper will bend round a 3 inch diameter!

I`ll go and get some and try it right now!

Clever Trousers
Bob Abell02/07/2009 08:44:57
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
10 Minutes later................

...................Yep!................Sure will!..........5mm dia

Only winding you up, Paul.......................Bob

Paul T02/07/2009 14:38:29
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Now Now Bob

You will only confuse the children.......you will have them all running down to B&Q to buy copper pipe and a copy of "plumbing for dummies"

Paul
George Malcolm Griffett02/07/2009 15:13:10
12 forum posts
Hi there Paul & Dave,

Thank you both for your informative and very entertaining comments I shall endeavour to test both suggestions but possibly avoid the third of mounting the motor under water!

Malcolm.

Dave Jones 302/07/2009 20:59:40
18 forum posts
Posted by The Fat Controller on 02/07/2009 07:07:55:

Quote:

Dave Jones 3

I find your comments regarding this particular topic a little incongruous as silicone tubing is an excellent medium for creating a quick and very efficient cooling coil.

You can not bend soft copper around a 75mm motor without a spring or packing with sand because even recently annealed copper will kink and crease at such a tight radius.

Paul

so sorry to be incongruous so please EXPLAIN to me therefore how I make brake pipes for cars then have I been doiing this wrong for the last 25yrs boy oh boy so have all the other mechanics in the world.If you had read my post properly which I doubt you have, KUNNIFER brake pipe will NOT bend it is to hard and will collapse as you have so rightly said. Copper brake pipe by it's nature will bend even to 90 degrees by hand and will not kink so wrapping ti around a 75mm Motor is simply NO problem at all.Copper brake pipe by it's nature is soft as S*** and will work.

Now the reason I stated that silicone piping is no good is simple silicone is not a conductor of heat copper is.Now as the heat is drawn away from the motor with the copper piping wrapped around it the water will instantly cool the copper and the warm water is drawn away with silicone all that happens is that the piping gets warm and does not cool the motor sufficiently,.
I have used both methods and have found that copper is the best soloution but make your own minds up 

Dave

Edited By Colin Bishop on 03/07/2009 18:39:16

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor