Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Slo mo Shun

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell29/06/2009 12:01:10
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
Anybody out there, made the Billings kit of the above speedboat?

I would appreciate some feed back please

Bob
Bob Abell29/06/2009 14:26:36
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
Thanks to Modelboats Magazine!.......................It`s all described nicely in the kit review section...................from start to finish

Bob
Paul T29/06/2009 18:13:38
7334 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Bob

The Slo mo Shun is a super boat and I am very pleased that you are thinking of building it....what scale will you use?........something big I hope, say 1:12

Peirre built one a while back and posted some photos.

I have got a set of plans, if you want them I can email them to you

Paul

Edited By The Fat Controller on 29/06/2009 18:24:26

Bob Abell29/06/2009 18:44:15
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
Hello there, Paul

There`s a build of the Slo Mo Shun model on this website and would you believe it?

It hasn`t got a driver!.......tut tut

There was a programme on the telly about the full size boat some time ago and I was interested then.......but it was probably during one of my big ship projects....so the idea just faded away

In the top picture, it has two drivers?

Bob
Paul T29/06/2009 19:01:09
7334 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Bob

Have a look at www.lesliefield.com/boats_teams/1950_u27.htm it covers the boat with two drivers.

Paul
Bob Abell01/07/2009 11:20:20
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
Thanks for posting the Slo Mo pictures in your gallery, Paul....................nice to see the different colour schemes

The model looks to be the size I`m thinking about............it also looks...IC?

Bob
Paul T01/07/2009 13:36:29
7334 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Bob

If you fit IC where would you sail it?

Paul (feeling slightly smug)
Bob Abell01/07/2009 14:15:52
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
I`m ain`t going down route.........me ol` Fruit!

That black and white model I posted a picture of, a few weeks ago, had the latest Graupner motor in and is about the same size as S M S X 2...............and the builder is our resident expert........John Goddard.............should be a good starting point

We have another expert on brushless motors too.......he made the Aqua Riva speedie boat

Happy days are here again!.......................Tral!........Lal!........Lar!

Bob

PS Colin`s a bit quiet of late????

Paul T05/07/2009 08:24:44
7334 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Bob

Re your problem selecting a suitable motor.
How about looking at the problem from a different angle…..for instance just how fast do you want the model to go ....scale speed or as fast as possible....given the potential light weight of the finished model you might not need such a huge motor.

Another thought is that with a bigger motor more battery power and hence more weight will be required (and space within the hull) there is a trade off between power pack size and motor size....I know its an obvious statement but I have found that re-examining fundamental questions can sometimes solve a problem.

Lastly how shallow an angle can you install the prop shaft at and can you use a surface piercing propeller.

Just some thoughts that have probably already occurred to you.

Paul

Another thought have a word with Dave at Action he has access to some fantastic motors from down under have a look at this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRcDsCpqidY there is a photo on page 7 of the Barrel Back thread

Edited By The Fat Controller on 05/07/2009 08:43:49

Bob Abell05/07/2009 09:00:29
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
Thanks for that, Paul

I know what you`re on about...suppose scale speed is the right way to go........................I`m thinking about building the model, above water...model aircraft style..............balsa and solar film!!!!

I`m also thinking of just building the kit ....................as the kit looks lovely!

Still thinking....there`s no rush...it`s summer still!

Don`t fancy finishing the model...mid winter either!!!

Is your BB progessing lately?

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor