Articles

Painting and Varnishing

Painting and Varnishing

Some practical advice from The Fat Controller

Bob Abell29/06/2009 18:37:57
9334 forum posts
2985 photos
Hello Paul

I intend to record the kit sizes with a view of scaling up for a winter project...........Probably won`t get around to actually building a second model, but at least the info will be there.

In my lost post, I noted that you had applied 40 coats of varnish.............well mine will have 41!..........lol

You`re a bit quiet lately, is the hot weather getting you down?..........I hate it!.......Far too hot for the campervan

Bob

Paul T29/06/2009 18:58:28
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Hello Bob

I have to be very careful in the hot weather and stay indoors when it gets to warm, the shed is like an oven so I cant get any shade in there.

If you want a set of plans for the slo mo shun I can email them to you.

Paul 
Bob Abell30/06/2009 06:06:50
9334 forum posts
2985 photos
Thanks for the plans offer Paul, I didn`t mention that I`ve actually sent for the kit!

Not made a kit for years..............and I`m looking forward to the novelty........and for a change, something easy to transport.

Bob
Bob Abell30/06/2009 12:47:06
9334 forum posts
2985 photos
Hello Paul

The kit is 1: 12 scale already and is a bit small........so I`m thinking of doubling up to 1/6th scale.............and then access to the radio gear and motor drive will be much easier..............and not making the kit at all?

I would then feel as though I`m building something special!

Bob
ashley needham01/07/2009 21:52:28
7353 forum posts
156 photos
Paul. It might have been just tripe if you hadnt  since amply demonstrated your credentials with the pictures of your barrel back varnishing job and so it becomes a treatise on the craft of applying paint.  
I kneel at the alter of your sanding block and patience.
Ashley  (finger painting is more my style)
Paul T01/07/2009 22:02:22
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Cheers Ashley
Richard Simpson04/07/2009 18:40:56
694 forum posts
354 photos
Great piece Paul, useful for beginners and more experienced modellers alike and using your own example gives it so much credibility.

This would actually have made a nice piece for the magazine, have a chat with Paul before you post something like that again, or have you already?
Paul T04/07/2009 20:17:05
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Thank you Richard.

I had a chat with Colin as I wanted to use the piece to help the website.

Paul
Rod smart17/03/2014 09:13:04
62 forum posts
7 photos

Paul,

Book marked this article brilliant.

We always used International paint as my uncle worked for them in Felling.

Hope to get to you high standard and thanks for publishing it.

Rod

Edited By Rod smart on 17/03/2014 09:14:10

Paul T19/03/2014 18:53:29
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Hi Rod
Glad that you enjoyed the piece and I hope that it is of some use.

All the best

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor