Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

My Transition From Large To Miniature Models - 1970

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Wilson23/06/2009 12:54:40
1748 forum posts
203 photos
As I said in the MARY CELESTE thread, my transition from large to small models was immediate.     On completing the BAY OF BENGAL at 8 feet to 1 inch, I immediatley transferred to miniatures and my first miniature was also BAY OF BENGAL, this time at 32'=1".    Here are the photographs.   Not very good, beacuase I was just starting developing and printing my own at the time!

I had got fed up of taking months building models and the associated problem transporting them home.      At the time, I was serving aboard the passenger liner S.A. ORANGE (Ex PRETORIA CASTLE) and that is where the 32.5 inch BAY OF BENGAL hull was built.    I took it home to rig it.    The hull construction was quite difficult because my cabin was very small and most of the time we were boiling and simmering in the tropics - no air-conditioning!     Shortly afterwards, I found myself promoted and my cabin was four times the size of my previous one and air-conditioned as well.       By that time, (only a few months after completion of the large model) I had obtained a copy of SHIPBUILDING IN MINIATURE by  Donald McNarry and so built my first miniature in the air-conditioned luxury of RMS WINDSOR CASTLE.

I have built the occasional big one since then, but really, it is 99% miniatures for me these days.

Bob

Bob Abell23/06/2009 15:57:25
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Excellent models, Bob

I like the non equidistant spar spacing!

But what about that wave midships?

Bob
Bob Wilson23/06/2009 16:21:23
1748 forum posts
203 photos
The top three yards on each mast were moveable.    When the sails were stowed, they were all moved down to the positions they are shown in.    If they were left like that, sail could not be set because the fore stays and even braces were in the way.   When sail was set, these yards were hoisetd to their fullest extent and then the spacing was more equal and sail could be set OK.    The ship is shown anchored in a long swell with waves sweeping towards it.   The one 'midship may look a bit too high, but it was common enough for them to slop past anchored or stationary ships.

A lot I don't like about both models now, but I was very happy with them at that time, 39 years ago.

Bob
Bob Abell23/06/2009 16:27:37
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
I like this era of sailing ships a lot and I spend hours on "Ships Nostalgia"

I suppose you do too?

Just in case you don`t, here it is......    http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/

Bob
Bob Wilson23/06/2009 16:42:51
1748 forum posts
203 photos
Yes, I am there as well, still as Shipbuilder and many of my old shipmates are there too.

Talking about the wave, look at this.    Ths ship (about 40 feet longer than BAY OF BENGAL) was stationary.    I am approaching in a small boat.      Less than a minute after taking the photograph, I had to jump from the boat onto the ladder hanging down the side of the ship and get aboard as soon as I could before the next wave came.    At the top of the next crest, as soon as my feet found the ladder and my hands gripped the sides,  the passing wave was gone leaving a 20 drop below me into the trough (so the crew told me who were awaiting my arrival.   Never thought much about it until I developed the picture and then I though "Did I do that?"

Happy days and the glory of an adventurous youth.     That was in 1982 in the South Atlantic and I was in my 22nd year at sea!

Bob

Barry Foote24/06/2009 08:13:44
161 forum posts
93 photos
Brilliant Bob. I really do enjoy your work..

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor