Forum sponsored by Dremel

1975 European Championships { Movie Film}

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Wooley15/06/2009 10:22:49
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles
I have been searching for many years for a 16mm film that was commissioned by the MPBA  to record the 1975 European Championships at Welwyn GC . If any one has any idea were this movie film { in sound]  is then I would be pleased to know of its where abouts. For those that don't know of this event it was the largest gathering of  model boats of all types that has ever taken place in the Uk .  The event or series of events lasted for 6 days and there were models [ teams} from every country in Europe including the then  Eastern  block . I guess  for some it's now part of  model boating folk law  but  there has never been such an event before or since. I had the privilage of being actively involved hence the reason for my request.
Dave Wooley
Colin Bishop15/06/2009 10:44:18
5152 forum posts
6118 photos
419 articles
No idea where the film is Dave. I was there too and I did see the film afterwards which i think showed one of the spectators having his jacket set afire by pyrotechnics!

Colin
David Wooley15/06/2009 17:08:51
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles
Hi Colin First and only time I ever got to see this film was at the MPBA AGM of that year . I do know that two copies were made  and I seem to recall that the film was circulated amongst MPBA clubs on request. But that   was the last I ever heard . The Pyrotechnics as you remember , especially by the Italian team was  loud and spectacular and I doubt if such an event in our  health and safety  society would ever get of the drawing boards.  But I seem to remember Ted Potters rather true to  life   Life boat station complete with  working life boat going down the slip  to   rescue a boat that was well a truely alight , smoke billowing and loud bangs and all on 27megs .Also  the art of   trying to make  diplomatic boating  conversation with the Russian and East German team members   which in those far off   days of the so called Cold War very difficult  but their modelling  and performance skills was never in question especially when it came to RTP Hyrdos . May be the film is in some attic box awaiting discovery  , then perhaps not. I do hope one day the Film can be seen again .
Dave Wooley
Colin Bishop15/06/2009 18:03:15
5152 forum posts
6118 photos
419 articles
Ah yes! Ted Potter's lifeboat demo. That does bring back some memories. Can't remember where I saw the film though.

Colin
Phil Abbott03/07/2009 20:24:01
22 forum posts
4 photos
Just seen this post (sorry) I was there as a young (well young-ish) straight runner (not me the boats) Re the film have you tried contacting Peter Hill, he was looking after the MPBA archives, he may know where the film / copies might be.
Colin Miller03/07/2009 20:46:24
73 forum posts
18 photos
I was ust wondering if they still have the european championships?
Phil Abbott03/07/2009 21:11:07
22 forum posts
4 photos
Colin
No sadly, after 1975 it went into a decline, and straight running finaly stopped being part of it over 10 years ago. The hydroplane chaps still go abroad to compete, (as part of NAVIGA) but I think that's all (not sure about the scale boys and girls)
Colin Miller03/07/2009 22:06:26
73 forum posts
18 photos
Thats a shame
would be nice to see something like this to be
come back
David Wooley06/07/2009 16:12:54
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles
Hello Phil I forgot about Peter Hill I'll follow that lead up . Thanks
As for  Naviga  returning to the UK well as far as I can recall  the original "Motors" as it was referred to  ceased years ago.  Section such as Multi boat racing, Scale  and Hydro RTP now have  their own Naviga's  . The European Championships  in 75 was  special as it was such an amazing event  were all the different forms of  model boating gathered together for this huge "   European  modelling  jamboree, it even included all the  east European states and Soviet Russia .  As they say times and attitudes change and it was a long time ago. Although  recorded in the Model Boats magazine of the time    the 1 hour movie if my memory serves me correct  shows  the  faces that have been forgotten  yet  many of the people behind those faces  contributed so much to  organized model boating in the UK  in those days.
Dave Wooley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor