Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Mary Celeste

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Wilson14/06/2009 14:22:54
1900 forum posts
277 photos
Work beganm this morning.     Decided on it as a bit of a rest from the more complicated steamship POLITICIAN.   It is being built to the same scale as POLITICIAN - 32'=1".
Bob

Colin Bishop14/06/2009 17:32:47
5192 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles
Well Bob, you won't have to worry about modelling the crew members then!

I think we will all look forward to your method of tackling a sailing ship subject.

Colin
ashley needham14/06/2009 18:41:59
7640 forum posts
159 photos
Ho HO. not a ship to worry about the other bobs thread....include crew or not!!

No arguments, sorry, agree to disagree, about action men or anything.  How about some ghostly fog effect????

Ashley
Bob Wilson14/06/2009 19:04:16
1900 forum posts
277 photos
The model will show the ship as in normal times under full sail, but I seldom bother with putting crews aboard them.        The finest miniaturist in this field, (in my opinion) Donald McNarry,  never puts crews on his simply because he doesn't want to.    I followed his lead over 40 years ago.     I did notice during my many years at sea that when ships went past, even quite close, I was seldom aware of seeing anyone aboard them!    Ships are big, people are small!       Yachties are especially keen on saying they were nearly ploughed under by ships with no-one on the bridge, but the truth of the matter is that it is difficult to actually see anyone aboard ships at sea!

Anyway, during first day, the basic hull is almost complete.      Found a piece of scored decking left over from POLITICIAN for maindeck.    Have also veneered and assembled the quadrant beading for the display case.      Sailing ships are dead easy compared with steamers, but few people will agree with me.     MARY CELESTE - only two decks, poop being raised 2 feet above maindeck.    Only two masts, virtually no rails.   Boats stowed upside down.   Minimal deck fittings and very small, only a few feet longer than a standard railway carriage (UK).

Bob
Paul T14/06/2009 20:55:53
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles
Colin

You should be on the stage.......

I heard the wind whistle as that one blew over peoples heads.

Paul
Bob Wilson15/06/2009 17:54:28
1900 forum posts
277 photos
I have now assembled the display case, complete with 18mm quadrant moulding round the base.   The inner base with its bevelled wood edging has also been made and the removeable tray for the sea fitted inside it.   The bare hull can be seen in the sea tray.   It looks rather short and fat, but that is only because I made it deeper to facilitate handling during construction.   Most of it will be under the sea when it is complete.
Bob

Bob Wilson16/06/2009 17:46:24
1900 forum posts
277 photos
All I have done today is fit and shape the sea.    As you can see, I gave it plenty of sea room.    I often feel that a lot of ship model builders tend to  "jam" their models into cases with bowsprit/jibboom almost touching one end and stern almost touching the other end!     On one occasion, I saw one with the top of the glass case resting on the mainmast  truck   When I asked why, the answer was "to give it a bit of support!"    

I always feel they look better when given "space," but , of course, it is up to the individual as to how to display their model.

Bob

Bob Abell16/06/2009 18:40:02
9337 forum posts
2985 photos
Hello Bob

Interesting new model!.......................What year was the Mary Celeste mystery?........I did read somewhere that the mystery was explained and a piano salesman was mentioned....or have I been dreaming again?

Bob
Bob Wilson16/06/2009 18:59:04
1900 forum posts
277 photos
It took place in 1872.   When the ship was found, she was not in perfect condition as modern publicity often states.    Sails were blown out, the spanker gaff was hanging down because the peak halliards had gone and one of the hatch covers  was missing.     Probably just one of many such mysteries of the sea that will never be solved,     A famous author latched onto the incident and it became blown up to massive proportions.     I have no particular views on it - just another mystery of the sea.    
They did have a piano aboard, but so did lots of ships!
Bob
Bob Wilson17/06/2009 18:05:11
1900 forum posts
277 photos
The hull has now been planked and painted and most of the deck fittings are in position.
Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor