Should models boats include the crew?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell06/06/2009 08:12:40
8949 forum posts
2824 photos
What does the team think?

Personally.................I say yes!

Imagine an RC model motor cycle without a rider?..............I rest my case!

Bob
Bob Abell06/06/2009 08:15:06
8949 forum posts
2824 photos

The crew adds interest?
ashley needham06/06/2009 08:36:29
6755 forum posts
198 photos
My stance is (possibly) well known on the subject. Crew add a third dimension to any vessel, lifting it from being a bookshelf lump of carved wood to being a living breathing boat. O.K, I overstate the case, but i do like to see some figures on a boat/ship. It certainly adds interest and to my mind gives a sense of scale to a vessel as well. On certain types of vessel, crew should by mandatory, such as speedboats, barrelbacks and the like. A speedboat or cabin cruiser without crew looks silly going along on the water with no  driver. I dare say a lot of you have seen that book on modeling the Titanic, by that German modelmaker chap, you know, the 18 foot Titanic (everyone should have  copy of the book, the ship is staggering). He has included ONE figure on the boat "for scale", an unpainted white figure. Wasted, all that effort, a few dozen painted figures on that ship would have livened it it up and given you a full sense of the size of the ship....the funnels towering overhead, the size of the plating, the lack of lifeboats.     Ashley
Paul T06/06/2009 10:00:05
7183 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles
Bob / Ashley

I agree that warships, liners and even lifeboats are improved by the addition of a few or even a single figure but putting Action Man or Barbie into a speedboat just looks daft and reduces a fine model to a mere toy.

Paul

neil howard-pritchard06/06/2009 10:17:20
1520 forum posts
871 photos
For years I resisted, until I got the urge to equipe a model lifeboat  I had built ,with crew, but none being around or available for that era of boats I made somemoulds for them. My boats wouldn't be without  a crew  nowadays.
neil.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 06/06/2009 10:18:35

The Long Build06/06/2009 10:29:28
701 forum posts
270 photos
To a point I agree with you Paul, However I have seen a speed boat regulary attending shows with a couple of Barbies or some such figures in being towed to the water by a Rc car,  when this is going around the lake it actualy looks a lot more realistic than if it went around empty, also a model jet ski looks daft without a figure, yes these may be more of a toy but they don't half get people watching, and at the end of the day if you build a model boat and sail it , it by defintion becomes a toy, albeit possibly an expensive and sometimes delicate toy but none-the-less, a toy.

As for only including 1 figure on an 18 foot Titanic , that is a model which would benefit from 100's of figures

Larry

Ps the idea of the Titanic has given me another thought , I have always been intending to build the Titanic (Long before Camerons Film)  , I have thousands of the old airfix soldiers  , might change the idea to one of the sister ships and add all the soldiers as a troop carrier
mick06/06/2009 15:20:21
127 forum posts
74 photos
 in my opinion  like the other members i hate to see a finished model ?
without figures large or small  there are loads out there to be modifyed 
to suite most boats  its great to see a finished warship or tug with crew
on deck i never have a boat without  figures 
Paul T06/06/2009 17:17:05
7183 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles
Dear all

The only figure that I would put in the barrel back would be Hawley Griffin (1897) ....he had the right idea.

Paul

Edited By The Fat Controller on 06/06/2009 17:21:10

Bob Abell06/06/2009 18:02:35
8949 forum posts
2824 photos
I saw a model Liberty Ship last year at one of the shows and it was the reverse of Larry`s idea...................it was represented into today`s guise as a tourist ship and it had something like 500 trippers on it!

Bob
David Wooley07/06/2009 11:36:22
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

This is an interesting question and one that is probably as old  as  the  building of  boats models. In fact if my memory serves me correct, there have been reed boats models complete with crew found in ancient Egyptian burial tombs .  .Adding a crew or the odd figure to provide "life"   or   a sense of the real is difficult as it can render a model toy like on the one hand or a lifeless hulk on the other.  In reality you seldom  see a    real ship devoid of life,   but you seldom see static models with any crew.  The answer could be if a model calls out for the addition of crew then so be it.   Ted Parr's astonishing 1:144  Nimitz aircraft carrier  is full of life just as you would expect to see aboard the full size vessel. The scale is such that you really need not be concerned about the accuracy of the garb or facial features. On the other hand at 1:24th scale crew member would perhaps need  to  have some resemblance of being human.  A difficult subject and one I have seen carried out with great skill that brings much more to the model than just the model.

Dave Wooley

Edited By David Wooley on 07/06/2009 11:40:07

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor