Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

SS POLITICIAN

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Wilson09/05/2009 17:43:55
1584 forum posts
271 photos
I have now started a model of the SS POLITICION (Harrison Line) at a scale of 32'=1".    It is to be completely hand-built with no shop bought parts in it.    The hull has been cut and shaped from a piece of obeche wood.   The raised forecastle has been fitted and I have just completed soldering on the sections of brass bulwarks.   The accommodation has also been roughly cut out and the wooden decks cut and scored to represent planks.   The hull has an overall length of about 14.7 inches.
Bob

Colin Bishop09/05/2009 18:56:41
4299 forum posts
6051 photos
394 articles
It will be good to see one of your builds from start to finish Bob - carry on!

Colin
Tony Hadley09/05/2009 19:55:29
892 forum posts
533 photos
Bob,

Is this model being built from the photograph, or do you work to a plan?

Very impressed with your models.

Tony. 

Edited By Tony Hadley on 09/05/2009 19:55:53

Bob Wilson09/05/2009 20:24:30
1584 forum posts
271 photos
Tony,
Thanks.    It is being built from a plan found in MODEL SHIPWRIGHT Nr. 75 (March 1991).    It is generally beyond my capabilities to build a ship such as this without a plan.
POLITICIAN is not very complicated and it shouldn't take very long.  It is to be a waterline model shown under way in a seascape that will be painted by my wife.
Bob
Bob Wilson12/05/2009 19:04:39
1584 forum posts
271 photos
I have now plated the hull and painted the shelter deck red oxide.   The red paint spilling down the sides is of no significance.   I masked off the solid bulwark sections from the red paint as they will be painted white, and a red undercoat would not be a good idea.      I have also assembled the display case and made the inner base, edged with bevelled sapele.     After I have made the sea and made the model a perfect fit  in it, I will paint the hull.   Not a good idea to paint the hull before fitting into the sea as the plasticine sea messes it up.

Not a great deal of interest in this one, so the next progress picture will be when it has been viewed either 50 times, or when the model is complete - whichever comes soonest!

Bob

Colin Bishop12/05/2009 19:07:14
4299 forum posts
6051 photos
394 articles
A few people looking with great interest is better than a greater number just taking a cursory look Bob so don't rely on statistics. I'm sure that several of us are taking a close interest in your build. Certainly I am.

Colin
Paul T12/05/2009 19:15:17
6807 forum posts
1130 photos
2 articles
Me to Bob

I just dont know how you do such perfect work at such a tiny scale.

You cant stop posting photos now.

Paul
Bob Wilson12/05/2009 19:36:54
1584 forum posts
271 photos
No need to worry at the moment.   In a few minutes, viewing has shot up from 38 to 46, so you are almost there!

I don't need continual praise or comment or anything like that, but I do need to see that someone has at least been looking!

On the other forum I started this off on, it has been viewed 362 times in the same period!

I feel somehow that  it doesn't really "fit in" the Model Boats general spectrum of interest, but I will continue it to the end anyway.
Bob
neil howard-pritchard12/05/2009 20:02:13
1163 forum posts
181 photos
On the other forum I started this off on, it has been viewed 362 times in the same period

YES, BOB, but that forum has considerably more members than this site at 5180 members, and the other site you post on has  over 36 thousand, so it's not really fair to compare viewing figures between sites, is it.
I always thought it was quality that mattered above quantity anyway.

And I always say, if just one person veiws and is inspired by my models, I feel I have fulfilled  my goal in life.
Bob Wilson12/05/2009 20:32:07
1584 forum posts
271 photos
My great pleasure is the ships themselves and I want to build as many as I can of the types that I like, but I see interest in nautical matters sinking by the month in the UK (and I mean everything nautical, not just model ships.    
The number of members of a site does not really count, because you don't have to be a member to have a look.!     For a few weeks now, I have been swinging between cutting right back or  making as many as I used to.   At the moment, I am on an upward swing, but don't know how long it will last.  
I think computers have generally put paid to most things practical on a world-wide scale.
Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Cadma new
Premier Thursday
Premier March
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor