Forum sponsored by Dremel

rigging

advise

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
androot31/03/2009 14:01:56
12 forum posts
16 photos
Hello sailers. I'm back on my boat. Its going to be something like j class yacht, similar to moonbeam. Just need some advice on how to rig it. My concern is not only about working matters but the look as well, as I'm a passionate modelmaker who likes to put some life into the model (RC). Maybe somebody know a book where i can find examples of rigging techniques.
Ducky11/04/2009 08:46:03
308 forum posts
103 photos
 Hi Andy

Not got a book ,but the attached picture may help its got all the main lines and sheets.

Cheers
Ducky
androot11/04/2009 12:55:55
12 forum posts
16 photos
Hello. Thanks for your reply. First thing I got victoria so I know the practical basics of rigging bermuda yacht. The one I'm building is gaff. There is one thing concerning me; there is no backstay as the boom is too long and the shape of the main sail doesnt allow for the backstay to go to the aft. Looking at the classic yacht like for instance moonbeam we can see shrouds going to the sides of the boat. Thing i dont understand is why the boom has restricted travel. Should it be like that???? 
Anyway I just need some tips on how to rig my yacht so its not only working rc boat but a good real looking boat as well.
Andy
Bob Abell11/04/2009 13:11:35
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
Hello Andy

Those rear facing stays were a mystery to me, when I built Britannia and Altair and I can only assume they had a quick method of slackening them off for large boom swings.

I postioned my anchor points a bit more towards the mast and just lived with the limited travel.....................After all, I do have a motor to get into wind!

Bob
Bob Abell11/04/2009 14:08:56
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
Hello Andy

Here`s the backstay on my Britannia....

The restriction allows about 20 degrees each way, if I need more movement, I simply slacken off the bowsies

Bob
Colin Bishop11/04/2009 14:53:09
4966 forum posts
6089 photos
410 articles
What you are talking about here is running backstays I think. There is a lot of info on them if you Google the term but basically the idea is that on a full size vessel you slacken off the leeward one and let the windward one take the strain. Then when you tack or gybe, you have to slacken the tight one and put tension back on the other. If you forget then the mast falls down....

Not quite sure how you would replicate that on a model though!

Colin
Kevin Bellman11/04/2009 21:18:39
68 forum posts
2 photos
Hi Andy,

If your after information on Gaff rigs I would recomend getting ' The Gaff rig handbook ' by John Leather. Available at amazon for £19. Great read and very informative

Kevin
androot13/04/2009 18:06:28
12 forum posts
16 photos
Hello. Thanks a lot for help Bob. 
Quite obvious explanation Colin, I feel like an idiot now, there is enough people on the real boat to deal with the rigging. Dont think its possible to make it work on a model...
I have one more question to Bob. How did you reslove the issue about controlling the most forward jib (not sure if its called staysail). Having two jibs its very difficult to controll them unless two servos are used, one per jib... Those two interfere with each other dont they?
I found the book Kevin, thanks a lot.
Britannia looks great by the way 

Andy
Bob Abell13/04/2009 18:55:16
9317 forum posts
2976 photos
Hello Andy

Thanks for the compliment

The sail closest to the mast is the STAYSAIL and the ones in front of that are the JIBSAILS and the top one is called the FLYING JIBSAIL

The FLYING JIBSAIL overlaps the JIBSAIL by a small amount. The heel of the sail runs on a loose sheet, which is anchored at one end to a convenient spot, mine is fastened to one of the spreaders and the other end goes to the winch.

When the winch is unwound, the sheet becomes loose and the wind carries the sail to the other side and then the winch is wound in again. ie the sail is allowed to slide along the sheet. It sounds quite complicated, so the best thing is to have a look at the setups at the pondside..............there are probably a few more methods of controlling the FLYING JIBS

I hope I`ve shed some light on the question?......................Bob
JC Uknz15/04/2009 10:28:40
141 forum posts
11 photos
Androot .... you could organise a junk rig for her .... not the old fashioned Chinese style but a modern JR as suggested by 'Arne' at the Jung Rig group at Yahoo.

The traditional JR has flat panels but the modern JR has efficient panels with curve in them.

The Junk rig doesn't have stays but a strong mast.     It would be interesting to also organise a model reefing system becuase the advanatge of the JR over other rigs is the easy reefing.  This means you can design in much more sail area to help you along in light winds and then it is so easy to drop panels into the lazy-jacks when the wind gets above force two.

I'm currently working an a 1:1 scale 9ft dingy with JR before I fit it to my 26ft keeler.  She came to me with about 260sq ftt of sail but I'm advised to organise around 350<375sq ft for her   Equal perhaps to flying a spinnaker but of course one can tack as well as run with the JR instead of just running with the spinnaker.

Edited By JC Uknz on 15/04/2009 10:31:10

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor