Forum sponsored by Dremel

Bob's boards?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pierre06/03/2009 17:03:33
86 forum posts
65 photos
Hi
Picking up from another thread, are these things still available? I was looking for a cheap speed controller for a little fishing boat I built for a ten year old, a while ago. My local hobby shop told me these things weren't being marketed any more. Had to buy an expensive ESC.
Anyone know where I could get these?
Thanks  - Pierre
Bob Abell06/03/2009 17:38:34
9127 forum posts
2933 photos
Hello Pierre

MFA sell them, here in the UK

They are also being discussed in a recent thread.........Something about "electrics"..........a few clicks down from here

Bob
ashley needham06/03/2009 18:49:01
7121 forum posts
206 photos
Do they sell them separately tho` ??  I have an idea they only sell as a set with a motor, or at least, their website leads you to believe this.    Ashley
Glynn Guest06/03/2009 19:58:42
37 forum posts
2 articles
Pierre,
         This note maybe too late and you have already wasted your time looking at the MFA site, BUT the MFA product is NOT a "Bobs Board".
Glynn Guest
David Meier06/03/2009 20:01:14
205 forum posts
81 photos
Hi Pierre. Have a look at this site. www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.esc
They have a 20 amp brushed ESC for $8.33 US and everything they sell is postage free. It can take a couple of weeks to arrive but they are reliable. I have bought a lot of things from them. You pay online through PayPal which gives you security with the credit card transaction.

cheers.
David.

Mike Pendlebury06/03/2009 22:54:20
53 forum posts
85 photos
They are still made. I bought one from my local model shop a few weeks ago (Type PB3 2.5 to 4 amps).
The address on the packaging is

Bob's Models Ltd
99 Hobs Moat Road
Solihull
West Midlands
England
B92  8JI
0121 7423949

Mike
ashley needham07/03/2009 08:21:52
7121 forum posts
206 photos
Glynn is dead right, the MFA controller is a resistive one, the BoBs board uses seperate resistors to achieve the same. Looking around, the MFA and hobbies  "mechanical speed controller" (which may be the same animal) are about £16, but an Mtronics 15A Viper ESC is about £22, so really not much difference there, however the mechanical ones cant compete in the fine control and efficiency stakes.   There cant be much reason surely for using a Bobs or resistive unit anymore???  (unless you make your own)   Ashley
Pierre07/03/2009 14:10:22
86 forum posts
65 photos
Hi all
Thanks to everyone who responded - it seems that they are pretty much priced on a level with ESCs, which as Ashley says, rather negates the point.
David, thanks for that site, will definitely check it out - an ESC for $9 must be an excellent deal!
Pierre
Mike Pendlebury07/03/2009 21:41:29
53 forum posts
85 photos
I don't know where Ashley gets his from but the Bob's Model Control Boards are resistive and not separate resistors and mine was only £9-95.

Mike
ashley needham08/03/2009 07:32:06
7121 forum posts
206 photos
Whoops !   I have never used one !!!   I believe the term gets used for "that sort of thing", so was quoting from memory, obviously flawed. For the sake of education, what EXACTLY ARE Bobs boards then?? Ashley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor