Ashleys Rubber Powered Boats

Scratch Build Item

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Hadley13/02/2009 22:09:38
892 forum posts
533 photos
Ashley,
 Whilst looking at the MB magazine of July 2007, I couldn't help but admire your rubber powered boats, in the two page item.
 Your modern craft, performed surprisingly well, but as a lover of older craft I couldn't help but admire the photograph of the historic Bowman model. 
 Have you continued with development of these craft? and did you consider fitting single channel r/c to give rudder control?

A superb item and project.
Well Done.

Tony. 

ashley needham14/02/2009 18:59:16
5924 forum posts
195 photos
Tony, thanks for that. I have not co ntinued development i am afraid due to other projects. There really is so much to try on a rubber band powered craft. So many variables...motor size,rubber type/thickness,prop type,gearing...all sorts. It would be nice to know how an original Bowman goes, Or are they all too precious??  I think that fitting an r/c rudder and using an electric cordless to wind the motor is the  way to go, but then it loses some of the character I think ?  Ashley
Paul T15/02/2009 06:12:31
6807 forum posts
1130 photos
2 articles
Hi Ashley

Nice to see that you have been published again and can we look forward to an item on the fantome.

Got to sign off now as the nurses are here for my bed bath.

Paul
Bob Abell15/02/2009 07:33:04
8342 forum posts
2558 photos
Hello Ashley.....................and good moaning to you, Paul

What`s this about you having something published?.........is it something new?

Regarding your rubber powered boat, which I haven`t seen yet...........way back in 1965, I had an article published in the" Model Cars" magazine, relative to rubber powered Dragsters....................If you fancy having a nosey, I`ll dig it out and do a scan.

These cars were retained on a straight line tether and could do 90 feet in 3 seconds!

Perhaps the idea could be extended to modelboats?............You won`t believe this, but the craft would be almost ballistic!.....................something Paul is craving for!

I`ll find the mag.................just in case!

Bob

Paul T15/02/2009 07:53:45
6807 forum posts
1130 photos
2 articles
Not moaning anymore Bob.........the girls have left now and its time for breakfast.

Ashley has sneaked a piece into the mag about his non flying boat so you will have to hurry up with JD at war to keep the scores level.

talk to you tomorrow when I get back home.

Paul
ashley needham15/02/2009 08:02:02
5924 forum posts
195 photos
OOoo Err matron. Nice to hear from you again Paul. Have you considered rubber power for you barrel back??  that would get is shifting nicely , at least for a short while, but winding it up would be a b****r !     Bob, see March issue of the magazine, Its a follow up really to Shorty.  A rubber sprinter would be a wow, but it wouldnt half take some experimenting to get it right. I think the general public dont realise the power that is available from a simple rubber motor. My Ashleyboat2 had 20 metres of rubber in it, and thats some very serious power!!!   Ashley

Bob Abell15/02/2009 08:23:48
8342 forum posts
2558 photos
Hello Chaps

Thanks for the info Ashley...................20 m of rubber hey?...........Sounds interesting...........mine had 18 yards of 1/4" flat rubber split between four drive shafts, all connected together with bevel gears

I`m going to create a new album for rubber powered craft...............I`ll be food for thought?

Bob
Paul T15/02/2009 13:46:03
6807 forum posts
1130 photos
2 articles
Ashley

Haven't we discussed rubber power before I do recall planning to link up rubber bands to a flywheel........or is this memory a medication induced senior moment.

Paul
ashley needham15/02/2009 19:37:41
5924 forum posts
195 photos
Nope, I think we have mused over this topic. Is there any other novel propulsion method we have not touched on yetAshley
David Meier15/02/2009 20:43:24
205 forum posts
81 photos
It doesn't relate to model boats, but I have a friend who when he was a little boy got hold of an old electrolux vacuum cleaner, removed both ends and filled the dust bag end with petrol soaked rags. He plugged it into his dads garage via a long extension lead and pointed it down the drive. Apparently it got to quite an impressive turn of speed when he flicked the switch. 

David.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Cadma new
Premier Thursday
Premier March
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor