Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

North West Club Receives Bad Press.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Hadley09/02/2009 22:58:59
892 forum posts
533 photos
I was handed a copy of the 'Bury Times' which has an item about model boats which none of us wish to hear.
A member of the public has wrote the following complaint to this newspaper about the Bury Club. Note: this club caters for scale, yachts and a fast electric section.

Disgusted by Model Boaters.
I am writing to express my family's disgust at the yobbish behavior of the model boat racers at Clarence Park on Sunday, January 25th.
 While strolling round the Lido with our grandson, we witnessed yet again the boats being used to chase the ducks and swans around the water.
 The poor birds were clearly in distress, as these idiots charged their boats at them trying to deliberately hit the poor creatures. 
 Last July we saw exactly the same behavior and reported our concerns to the Council's Park Manager who appears to have done nothing to stop this cruelty.
 These wicked boaters should not be allowed to distress and torture these poor birds, and I hope the Council act decisively to stop this cruelty as soon as possible.

Bob Abell10/02/2009 08:23:59
8342 forum posts
2558 photos
Hello Tony

This sort of behaviour is usually caused by newcomers to the model boat clubs and is soon discouraged!

Bob
ashley needham10/02/2009 18:26:51
5924 forum posts
195 photos
I am not sure how much you can take these sorts of rants at face value. Where the offenders torturing birds while on "official" club time? were club members present? were the torturers actually club members? all these questions.....  My Titanic has a liking to swans though, as they are large and white .  Ashley
Dr John Booth12/02/2009 06:56:15
90 forum posts
1 photos
It has to be said that along with most other things in so called modern life there is a growing lack of respect for people, property and the environment.

Without getting drawn into a debate regarding the socio-political ramifications of my statement I have, in my lifetime, witnessed the slow but inexorable erosion of general standards in behaviour to the point now where some members of society have de-evolved to an almost feral state.

The actions of the irresponsible few, such as described in the Bury newspaper, have been increasing over the past twenty years to the point now where we as a society have become desensitised to the often barbaric and senseless actions of our fellows. 

I do recall the boredom and frustrations of being a teenager and being caught between childhood and true adulthood but I, and other members of my generation, would not have dreamed of entertaining myself in the now common fashion of destruction. 

Where will it all end and what, if anything, can we do about it? 

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Cadma new
Premier Thursday
Premier March
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor