5989 photos
399 articles
Looking into it Len - see my PM.

Colin
Bob Abell12/02/2009 15:22:27
8270 forum posts
2530 photos
Hello Colin

Two pictures in my latest album are now blank........Can you have a look please?

Bob
Colin Bishop12/02/2009 15:36:17
4155 forum posts
5989 photos
399 articles
Bob,

When I was looking through the albums earlier there seemed to be quite a few blank pictures.There has apparently been a problem with migrating images from the old setup and I am taking this up with Technical Support. MB is not the only site affected.

Colin
Bob Abell12/02/2009 15:44:41
8270 forum posts
2530 photos
Thank you, Colin

Also, where are the latest instructions displayed, informing forum members how to post pictures etc..............I suspect some pictures could be too large in Pixel length or Kb?

Bob
Colin Bishop12/02/2009 17:08:53
4155 forum posts
5989 photos
399 articles
Len,
It appears that your Action Springer album did not have a title and that the "Public" box was not ticked. I have amended the album and hopefully you can see it now.

Bob,

I have heard from technical support that the reason for a number of missing pictures is that when the site was migrated onto the new IT platform there was a gap between the picture transfer files being created and the old site being closed down. Pictures posted during this period were therefore not transferred over. Efforts are being made to obtain them but without much success to date. This may not account for all the missing pictures but I'm afraid it has to be accepted that when a migration of this nature takes place some things do fall through the gaps - I experienced this in my previous job!

As far as the size of the picture files is concerned I have not been able to find any instructions so far and don't want to be too much of a pain to the technical guy who is doing his very best to help. I have however just created a test album which has 3 images on it. One is over 2MB, one is just under 1MB and the other is a very small one. All of them seem to have uploaded successfully which suggests that there is a built in resizer in operation on this site. Having said this, you can speed up the upload time by resizing the original picture using one of the handy free picture resizers ( Power Toys for XP or VSO Image Resizer for Vista) to make a "desktop resolution" size copy which gives a file size in the order of 240kb or so. You won't notice the difference on screen and it's a heck of a lot quicker!

Colin
Bob Abell12/02/2009 18:02:28
8270 forum posts
2530 photos
Thanks Colin

Not too concerned about the missing pictures really...................the only thing against your argument is that these pictures were posted well after the changeover...........they were in the new album

I`ll erase them shortly

Bob
Bob Abell12/02/2009 20:39:57
8270 forum posts
2530 photos
Having now lost a third picture.................I`ll wait and see what transpires?

Bob
Peter Fitness13/02/2009 05:25:24
508 forum posts
215 photos
I endorse Colin's comments regarding image resizers. I use VSO Image Resizer for Windows XP (a free download) and it is excellent, not only for posting pictures on a forum, but also for quicker emailing.

Peter. 
Paul T13/02/2009 06:26:47
6751 forum posts
1118 photos
2 articles
Hello Colin

Welcome to your new job and its nice to see that a model boater of such wide experience has been appointed. I wish you all the best in your new role and hope that you are able to take this site to new heights.

Dear friends

Thank you for all of the nice comments regarding my health, I am now out of intensive care and in a nice room (with a computer) and I expect to be home on Monday. Meanwhile I expect Bob and the usual suspects to keep our new webmaster on his toes....

Paul
Bob Abell13/02/2009 07:14:49
8270 forum posts
2530 photos
Welcome back Paul!................Once again, you had us all worried!..................Perhaps those big models you`re making at present, should be put to oneside?

And what did I say last week?..............about having a webmaster with model boat interests?..................Well, it`s all been realised!..............No disrespect to Vinnie of course!

Now you sit back and have a rest..................You`ve done enough for today already!

Dr Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
PremierJuly 2019
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor