Forum sponsored by Dremel

Website Editorial

Change in website and forum moderation

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Freshney09/02/2009 16:10:41
291 forum posts
12 photos
Vinnie Branigan left the company today and we wish him well for the future. Most forum users will know that he edited the Military Modelling website as well as the Model Boats website and the former was where his chief interest lay.
I am able to announce that Colin Bishop will be looking after the website in the future but please bear in mind that it will take a few weeks for him to get his hand on the keyboard so to speak. He is a highly experienced model boat builder, Model Engineer Exhibition  judge and a major contributor to the magazine with some unique articles. He is an ideal person for the task this Model Boats Website.

Dr John Booth09/02/2009 16:23:18
90 forum posts
1 photos
A very sad day for both this site and MM, Vinnie is a first class person and dedicated to his work........I do wonder about the exact reasons for his leaving.

Charles Reading10/02/2009 03:08:13
5 forum posts
"I do wonder about the exact reasons for his leaving."

There are several threads on the MilMod site that contain information on how Vinnie Branigan was  made redundant after he had resurrected that site from ashes.
C.
ashley needham10/02/2009 06:56:46
5617 forum posts
177 photos
Good luck to Vinnie, and I wish Colin well in his new job, and look forward to crossing swords with him on this site over contentious issues , such as ...what colour was the antifouling on a 1959 ACME tiddler ...red or black????  .I trust he will fill in his profile and provide us with a picture at some stage!   will he adopt a nickname suitable for the post I wonder...how about "The Dreadnought"??   regards, Ashley
Bob Abell10/02/2009 07:24:53
8274 forum posts
2530 photos
The Arch Bishop has a good ring to it?

All the best Colin................and Vinnie?..............keep in touch!

Bob
Model Boat Mayhem10/02/2009 08:58:57
18 forum posts
All change at Model Boats Forum!

All the best Colin, a moderator par excellence, et extrodenair! 

Colin Bishop11/02/2009 11:34:39
4176 forum posts
5989 photos
399 articles

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post as Website Editor, you can be sure that there will be many more once Ive got fully to grips with the 16 (actually very helpful) pages of instructions I have been given for managing the site. As many of you will know, I have been a model boater all my life and regularly write for the magazine. I hope that this background will inform the way I tackle the job.

My first priority has been to address the complaints about missing posts. Referring to the most recent comments, I have discovered that Glynn Guest and Martyn Crowther have had their IDs tagged with a flag that makes their posts invisible to other members. Whether this was intentional or simply a by product of the change of software platform I do not know and in the circumstances have no way of finding out. I have looked at the posts of these two gentlemen and can see no obvious reason why they should have been moderated in this way. Glynn's comments on the use of glycol are robust but well within the standards of informed debate. I have therefore removed the invisibility tag and everyone can see their posts once more. I think we should now regard this as water under the bridge and draw a line under the issue. If anyone else suspects their posts have been similarly affected then please let me know and I will look into it.

Moderation is always necessary on an Internet forum but I believe that it should be as transparent as possible. It will not be my policy to delete posts without explanation, either to the member concerned or on the forum itself unless they are obviously spam postings. Where only partial moderation is required, such as the use of inappropriate language, I will consider directly editing the post so as to retain its sense but will make it clear on screen that this has been done. Depending upon the circumstances it may be appropriate for the original post to be deleted and for the poster to replace it with a more acceptable version.

I would however point out that I do not have unlimited time to devote to the moderation role and I do expect that members will conduct themselves in a civilised manner in discussing our shared hobby that we all enjoy. I want this forum to be a pleasant and enjoyable place to visit and one where only light touch moderation is occasionally required. Where it does take place I will not be drawn into extended arguments as to whether it was justified or not. On here as elsewhere, the umpire's decision will be final!

Once I have got my feet a little further under the table I will post more on the subject of rules and guidelines and on other matters too, but for the moment I've got a bit of reading up to do!

Happy Boating,

Colin

David Wooley12/02/2009 09:23:28
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles
Hi Colin  May I wish you all the best in this new task  .
Dave Wooley
David Wooley12/02/2009 09:25:52
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles
Hi Colin May I wish you all the bestt in  this new venture .
Dave Wooley
Len Ochiltree12/02/2009 13:22:18
525 forum posts
64 photos
Hi Colin,

My Album " Action Springer ". I cannot find it in the list of Albums,it says unable to find it!.
Any ideas ?

Len.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Premier Thursday
Shrek
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor