Are they an aircraft or boat or amphibian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T25/12/2008 07:02:00
7334 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Here is my Christmas conundrum

This years subject is not as contentious as last years (I still get emails) but has been bothering me for a few weeks.

WHAT IS A HOVERCRAFT

The obvious answer is that a hovercraft is a hovercraft and therefore in a class of its own but how do you classify one?

Is a hovercraft an aircraft because when in motion it is not in contact with the ground?

Is a hovercraft a boat because it can travel over water?

Is a hovercraft an amphibian because it can travel between water and land?

Or is a hovercraft merely a vehicle because it can travel over most surfaces.

And lastly as modelers we have to get things right so which radio system should we use to operate a hovercraft do we opt for 35Mhz or 40Mhz? 

Answers on a postcard and send it to me at:

Workshop                                                                                                                                                                 Grotto                                                                                                                                                                       North Pole.

I’m off to stuff a turkey and feed the reindeer then get to bed as I was very busy last night so Happy Christmas everyone.

Paul

Bob Abell25/12/2008 09:17:00
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Mornin`.....................Santa!

That is an interesting point.................35 or 40 meg!..................what about...............37.5 meg?........Since it`s Christmas!

Now back to me bote...................lol

Bob

ashley needham26/12/2008 11:19:00
7323 forum posts
156 photos
Hi all, merry xmas etc. A hovercraft is undoubtably a TYPE of aircraft as it goes along with no contact with the ground. By extension, if the engine power was increased sufficienty it would undoubtably fly (think SRN1 for a mental picture,withouit skirt) .40M would be my guess as hovercraft do not usually attain sufficient altitude to compete with aircraft (normal aircraft that is ) Ashley  ho ho ho
Paul T26/12/2008 12:55:00
7334 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Ashley

If its an aircraft then it should be 35Mhz.

Paul

HO HO HO

the converter26/12/2008 19:22:00
50 forum posts
38 photos

hi all

i thing a hovercraft is merely a craft not vehicle/boat or plane so if this is the case then neither 35mhz or 45mhz should be used but as bob said use 37.5mhz 

as clearly a hovercraft is neither land or air based craft but comes somewhere in between

merry xmas all

ron

Paul T27/12/2008 06:35:00
7334 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

The conundrum deepens. 

I had not put a train in the list of possible classifications as I had thought that, like a submarine, a train could not be a candidate and then last night one of the elves reminded me about the "mag" train which hovers on a magnetic field.

So if we accept that by definition a true hovercraft need not be supported on a cushion of air we are forced to include trains in the list of possible classifications.

Santa 

Len Ochiltree28/12/2008 15:34:00
525 forum posts
64 photos

Dear Santa,

Are you thinking of making Rudolf and chums Redundant and using a Hovercraft? at least we would be able to hear and feel you coming!.

Did you get those very cheap workmate type of things?.

Happy New Year.

Regards Len ( worked every day over Christmas )

Paul T29/12/2008 08:21:00
7334 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Len

A hovercraft might be more comfortable than the sleigh but the reindeer have the advantage of being able to fly higher and faster so santa will be sticking with the rudolf the stealth reindeer.

No I didn't get the workmate things as Wicks caught up with the pricing mistake and cancelled the order then they emailed me with all sorts of legal reasons why they were allowed to cancel, not that I was bothered as I knew it was a gamble but they were a little heavy handed.

Happy new year to you

Santa

ashley needham29/12/2008 20:09:00
7323 forum posts
156 photos
Santa, so what is your flying, moose propelled sleigh  classed as then ?? (I tracked your progress the other night courtesy of NASA)    Ashley
Paul T29/12/2008 20:47:00
7334 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

IFO

(Identified Flying Object)

Those NASA chaps came up with a lighter tracking unit this year as in previous years it has been very heavy and upset the reindeer by causing undeerstear

Santa

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor