Forum sponsored by Dremel

Lesro Sportsman steering

Steering problem

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Walsh21/12/2008 12:03:00
20 forum posts
125 photos
Have recently aquired a LESRO SPORTSMAN. goes well but is unsteerable in reverse. Would increasing the size , or altering the position of the rudder help ?  Any help appreciated.
Ian Gardner27/12/2008 06:35:00
566 forum posts
1 photos

Hi John and hi everyone else as I am relatively new to this forum.

I'm afraid I can't help with your reversing problem on the Sportsman but I have been building one of these boats for the last few weeks and am a bit stumped about what I am going to make  removeable. The plans don't seem to be very specific about access to the interior. I want to make the large cockpit deck removeable as batteries and radio will be under there. Is this the case on your boat and if so how is the join waterproofed? I'm going to install a Torpedo 850 on 12v and don't envisage doing much reversing.

I think a boat with a large transom and a hard chine hull will always be a bit difficult in reverse. I have enjoyed building this boat so far and wish there were a few more 'traditional' kits available. I'm not sure you can get these Lesro boats anymore- I fancied their 38'' cabin cruiser- Rapier I think.

Best wishes,

Ian. 

John Walsh27/12/2008 11:50:00
20 forum posts
125 photos
Hi Ian,  Thanks for your thoughts on reversing with a wide transom, hard chine hull.  I purchased my Sportsman on e-bay some time ago, it is powered by a Graupner Speed 700 turbo on 9.6v and planes quite easily. I do not have the plans but the larger cabin section is removable, also the whole deck area, there is no specific waterproofing but very little water comes onto the deck area. If you would like to see photos - contact me on jrw@tinyworld.co.uk. I have a partially built Lesro Rapier if you would like details of that also.   Best Wishes  -  John
Ian Gardner27/12/2008 16:43:00
566 forum posts
1 photos

Hello John,

Thanks for that. I anticipated that the large deck area would be quite dry but it helps to have it confirmed.I need to decide whether to make the large cabin sides removeable with the roof, or just the roof. As the motor will be under there I think the whole cabin. I may try and track down a Rapier for when I have finished this one. I did think about the Sea Queen but it is a large boat. Given that you use 9.6v for your boat I wonder if mine will be a bit too much- I shall have to see!  I would be interested to see some photos so will contact you and thanks for the offer.

With regard to reversing I can't remember any boat I have ever had that reversed well which again, isn't much help. 

All the best,

Ian 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor